#158413  by hippieguy1954

Has anyone (who has an Alligator clone or has built one) added the modified/replacement string tree set up on the head stock? If so, what did you make that brass "bar" out of and what is the height? Thanks!

#158414  by TI4-1009

Partly OnT (but mostly OT), I had to put a string tee on my Phiga Tiger. The one "design flaw" of Phil's Tiger (at least my iteration) was a too-flat headstock angle. Almost Fender-ish. It worked almost OK with the machine heads that came with it, but when I upgraded to the Schallers with their taller posts, there was barely any angle over the nut- particularly the Es. I bought a few different tees from StewMac and used the one that worked the best and was the least obvious. Hated to do it, but there just wasn't enough string angle. The only other option was to fabricate spacers for between the tuners and the back of the headstock to lower the posts. I still might do that- less obvious.

The tee on Alligator almost looks like it was a little brass toy drawer handle, or something like that?

#158431  by hippieguy1954

hippieguy1954 wrote:Has anyone (who has an Alligator clone or has built one) added the modified/replacement string tree set up on the head stock? If so, what did you make that brass "bar" out of and what is the height? Thanks!

#158448  by hippieguy1954

Thanks very much, Rusty and TI4-1009, but I know about those. Those are for Floyd rose tremolo locking nut. They have been around for many years and can also be used as T14-1009 has for problem head stocks .

This is an Alligator specific question.

Ya see, on a stock vintage Strat, if you have two string tees, one is slightly taller than the other and there is never one for the low E and the A.

So, when they added that bar, did they mount it so it's higher for the low E and A or is it the same height as the D and G?
 #158450  by TeeJay

It looks to me like the E and G strings are slighter lower than the A and D due to how they ride in the bends of the bar.
 #158451  by hippieguy1954

TeeJay wrote:It looks to me like the E and G strings are slighter lower than the A and D due to how they ride in the bends of the bar.
Looks like you could be right about that. Something tells me it is not critical. The two clones I've seen (one being a Rush build) use staggered tuners and only one string tee for the high E and B. So, I'll stick with two fender string tees and see how it goes. I can always add another one later.
 #158453  by TeeJay

The height of that drawer pull would be critical as well. I think to replicate this part correctly it would have to be custom. Pretty easy, but custom fabricated none the less.
 #158455  by hippieguy1954

Bigfoot Co. wrote:After a quick search, I found this...

http://www.vintagehardware.com/proddeta ... prod=26165

3 5/8" wide overall is what they say. Maybe they have a smaller one?
Thanks! Sure looks like it. Too bad about the size.

TeeJay wrote:The height of that drawer pull would be critical as well. I think to replicate this part correctly it would have to be custom. Pretty easy, but custom fabricated none the less.
Yep and I could make one by maybe eye balling the height in relation to the other strings. I shall see.

Thanks!