#158095  by mgbills

Good Morning All,

I thought I'd share a tidbit & hopefully get one in return. :-)

When my '70-ish Twin went to Mr. Waldo it was just a chassis. And so when it return...it was as well. I placed it back in the head (after applying Batik to the Tolex face) and gave it a whirl. I, of course, put it on it's side. This, as we all know, is a key element in the Jerrification of a Twin Reverb modified perfectly. But...it was just a bit noisy.

Long story (as all mine are) short...I moved it again about a month ago & it got really noisy. Hmmmm. Very fine NOS preamp tubes. Dead quiet in Mr.Deluxe. Hmmm. Finally my razzum coated neurons goes to the internets & I find out...it could be the proximity of the reverb tank to giant transformers. Turn reverb off. Dead quiet. :smile: :smile: :smile: Turn reverb on. Noisynoisenoise. Tube swap...tube swap. Ahhh. The internets say to move the output of the reverb tank as far away from the PT as possible. Very Importante'!!!

That is the tidbit I offer. Get the reverb output away from the power transformer. They don't teach that in the course "Pathways to Jerrydom: 101".

Oh...and another offering...don't use a 12ax7 in the V3. No reverb control at the Pot. 12AT7 is better. I plan on trying a 12AU7 next.

Now...my query. My Maestro is almost dead quiet. But it's horizontal. And as eluded to in another thread...that sucka gotta be vertical for the reverb. I want to put the tank back in the bag. (Put the tank back in the bag, Mart!) and I want an ingenuous way to secure it to the bottom of the head cab. Ideally ....easily removable.

Any ideas?

Thanks to all.
Peace
M
 #158105  by mgbills

Waldo Maestro-ized it. Full Maestro Modifcation.

It was a major rebuild, as the old black fiberboards were a mess. When I went through it years ago it seemed like 10 dudes had attempted to Blackface it & failed. I had it working as a BF twin, but I didn't love it. So I asked Waldo for an overhaul & a Jerry-job and it came back to a whole new life. I also bought a reverb tank from him, but the cab was at my house at the time. Thus...me initially installing said reverb pan incorrectly & creating a noise generator in the process. I then got busy & found some (more) sweet NOS preamp tubes and commenced to wail away in Jerry bliss.

Another nicety that came back to the Oregon Coast with my Maestro...the Norman channel is now an F2B preamp. It is as astounding as the Vibrato circuit. I recently bought a cheapo Ibanez SDGR500 bass. I was getting all GAS'y about an Eden head ...when I remembered....The Normal Channel is an F2B. Man...it is glorious. Quiet. Beautiful bass tone (to my ear). I'm not a bass player but I instantly loved the tone of this F2B. It's a blast to play against some sweet GD on the monitors.

So...I would 110% recommend the Maestro Reverb mod to any Twin. And I would recommend installing the reverb pan correctly when it returns.

Now...any sweet and cool ideas for securing that bag & pan so I can stand this sucker back up?

Hopefully that helps & answers your question.
 #158110  by mgbills

That is intriguing! I have some of that super pedal velcro.
That should do the trick.

Thanks.!
 #158113  by FrettyBoy

Fill me in on the benefits of standing the horizontal tank vertically.

I know they make tanks that are meant to be mounted vertically. My understanding was mounting a horizontal tank vertically (or standing it vertically) would not be ideal.

Here's a blurb from "Wally" (Lubbock, TX amp tech) from TDPRI regarding the reverse: When I got the chassis back in the cab and heard the reverb, I was disappointed. I pulled the tank and to my amusement there sat what looked to be an OEM tank....but it is the wrong model. It is a 4AB3C1C instead of the 4AB3C1B that should be in this FEnder, The difference is that the last 'C' in that model number indicates a tank that was built for a vertical mounting while the 4AB3C1"B" is built for horizontal mounting installations. The reverb was shallow and weak with a very quick decay. I oriented the tank in a vertical plane and Voila! there was that wet and warm Fender tube reverb that most of us love so much.
I had never before heard the difference even though I knew that tanks were built for specific applications. Now I know that indeed a vertical tank does not function well in a horizontal plane.
 #158114  by mgbills

It is truly an awesome sounding amp...

On the subject of vertical vs. horizontal mounting...that was an attempt at humor. Jerry had his Twins on end. Therefore many of us turn our amps on end. In some thread here someone mentioned that it reduces the horrendous clatter noise when the amp get's bumped (when compared to the horizontal position).

As to the actually design issues around vertical vs horizontal...this is the first I've ever seen any notes on this. Mr. Wald may have some insight into this, as seemingly no detail is lost on him.

See...always learning here. Very very good. I'll have to look at my tank and see what I see.

Thanks to all.
 #158115  by caspersvapors

out of curiosity, what kind of reverb tank did Waldo supply you with? New production or vintage?

and yea, as Waldo noted, orientation of the tank matters. Some tanks accutronics built were for organs or the Fender stand alone reverb tank where the mounting was totally different than your standard Fender combo. If the impedence is correct, these will work in a fender but not in the horizontal, springs facing down position.

Even just turning the tank 180 ie swapping which way the connectors face, will impact the noise level, I would try this as its super easy to remedy the tank noise
 #158116  by gdrfk1990

I've been debating some NOS preamp tubes what are you using ?
Also I have JAN philips 6l6wgbs in my deluxe is it worth putting these in the Concert head
 #158117  by gdrfk1990

I've been debating some NOS preamp tubes what are you using ?
Also I have JAN philips 6l6wgbs in my deluxe is it worth putting these in the Concert head
 #158132  by TI4-1009

#158134  by chipperj

I've been thinking of building a separate cabinet just for the reverb tank (for my '69 Deluxe Reverb). It has new iron (to run 6L6s), and coupled with a JBL is creating all sorts of havoc with the reverb. Like yours, mine is dead quiet when the reverb is turned all the way down. But has an assortment of hums/noise when I turn it up. If I go over 3, it feeds back like crazy. Anyone ever built one of these?
 #158140  by MattMan

chipperj wrote:I've been thinking of building a separate cabinet just for the reverb tank (for my '69 Deluxe Reverb). It has new iron (to run 6L6s), and coupled with a JBL is creating all sorts of havoc with the reverb. Like yours, mine is dead quiet when the reverb is turned all the way down. But has an assortment of hums/noise when I turn it up. If I go over 3, it feeds back like crazy. Anyone ever built one of these?
Feedback sounds like a bad tube in the reverb circuit?
 #158149  by chipperj

Feedback sounds like a bad tube in the reverb circuit?
I've tried on a couple of occasions to swap the tubes out of both v3 and v4 and I still get the hum/feedback. The only thing that seems to work is taking the tank out of the amp and resting it behind it.