#157653  by Bobbyg

I have obviously discovered, that in order to get close to playing the Jerry tone, you must first "know" what Jerry tone is; and the clearer the better. Have not heard Jerry live since 1992. So here is my rig for this exercise:
Europe 72 > Technics SL-D1 > Marantz 3200 Preamp > 2x Mcintosh MC50 > 2x Klipsch Cornwall :-) :-) Cornwalls weigh 105# apiece!

https://www.dropbox.com/s/hls9mk8ax2gda ... 6.jpg?dl=0
 #157655  by Gr8fulCadi

Nice system :smile: !! I have since converted back to vinyl and tube gear. Total joy especially in winter time when ur stuck in the house.

Dicks Picks Vol3 > Rega P3 > McIntosh mx110 pre/phono < McIntosh mc30's < infinity sm112 (week link but fine after some mods) Would love me some Klipsch speakers.

Started with and still use the above Rega but with a McIntosh C27 pre and the lovely mc2105. Yes, I got run over by a convoy of McIntosh gear.
 #157657  by ccw3432

Nice setup. I didn't realize full range speakers of that size were still being manufactured. I'd love to hear those Cornwalls! Would you recommend them? I'm running a two channel home stereo system using a Mac c22 preamp which I inherited from my grandfather and an MC2100 power amp and absolutely love the sound. I hope to upgrade my speakers someday.
 #157660  by Bobbyg

Well, glad to see others here are dual purposing their Mac's. I am sure those MC-30 tube amps sound sweet! I just picked up the Klipsch Cornwalls after searching for a long time. Klipsch has been making the Cornwall with only moderate changes non-stop since 1959. Mine are from 1984 and look brand new. The soundstage is really stunning. A set of new Cornwalls is crazy expensive, $4k and up. But you can get an outstanding set for way far less if you keep your eyes open on Craigslist, etc...........
 #157664  by Gr8fulCadi

Klipsch and McIntosh were absolutely made to be paired up. The brightness of the horns on the Klipsch speakers and mellowness and warmth of the Macs compliment each other pretty well. I would love a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls or Forte/Chorus but not wife approved at this time.

The MC30's were fully restored by Yves Beauvais. I bought them all rusty and barely working, sent them to Yves and now they're brand new. Trust me that while the MC30's are a treat to listen too, the autoformer family, MC50, mc2100 mc2105 etc are NOT that far off!! Sound quality and tube like tone to die for. They are very nice to listen too, my 2105 is never leaving my possession.

:smile: :smile: :smile: Enjoy em!!
 #157666  by Bobbyg

[quote="Gr8fulCadi"]Klipsch and McIntosh were absolutely made to be paired up. The brightness of the horns on the Klipsch speakers and mellowness and warmth of the Macs compliment each other pretty well. I would love a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls or Forte/Chorus but not wife approved at this time.

Understood.......I got "wife approved" because she liked the furniture like finish on the Cornwall cabinets! :-) Doesn't hurt that she is a Deadhead too!
 #157743  by zambiland

Gr8fulCadi wrote:Klipsch and McIntosh were absolutely made to be paired up. The brightness of the horns on the Klipsch speakers and mellowness and warmth of the Macs compliment each other pretty well. I would love a pair of Klipsch Cornwalls or Forte/Chorus but not wife approved at this time.

The MC30's were fully restored by Yves Beauvais. I bought them all rusty and barely working, sent them to Yves and now they're brand new. Trust me that while the MC30's are a treat to listen too, the autoformer family, MC50, mc2100 mc2105 etc are NOT that far off!! Sound quality and tube like tone to die for. They are very nice to listen too, my 2105 is never leaving my possession.

:smile: :smile: :smile: Enjoy em!!

I agree. I have a pair of refurbished MC30s and they are astounding in their clarity. I'm using a pair of Avalon NP2s and the combination is great (the amps even made my old B&W DM330s sound very good). I have been using an MC2105 more recently just for some more low end thump.

Front end is a Grace M9XX or M902 fed by digital sources. My turntable lives in my home studio, which at this point is a set of the high end NHT speakers with their own amplifier module with a Metric Halo ULN-8 providing the DAC.