#155682  by SarnoMusicSolutions

OK, so we're not really officially up and running with the announcements of the new pedal, but I wanted to come here first to let you JG friends in on this first batch. If interested please email me directly and I can get your order placed. They are $195 + $13 shipping (USA). There is a limited number available at the moment, but next month or so I plan to have plenty more.

sarnomusic@gmail.com

The Solar Flare is our brand new, true "distortion" pedal. It's somewhat inspired by Jerry's old distortion pedal, but it's got some modernizations too, a more controlled bottom end and warmed top-top end, a more musically rich midrange, a tone control, TONS more available output level and drive capability, and a nice fidelity and delivery of detail and articulation. It's very friendly and familiar to anyone doing Jerry tones. I really do like to think he would have loved this thing. That was a big inspiration for me as I designed it. I hope to have some audio samples coming soon.

Last edited by SarnoMusicSolutions on Sun Feb 19, 2017 12:58 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #155703  by Searing75

I totally would have been all about this, and the new '77 release, but alas, I spent over $2,000 on a McIntosh MC2105 and a C32, so I'm strapped right now. I owe my soul to the company store.
 #155718  by kurt eye

Searing75 wrote:I totally would have been all about this, and the new '77 release, but alas, I spent over $2,000 on a McIntosh MC2105 and a C32, so I'm strapped right now. I owe my soul to the company store.
Congrats on the MC2105!

I'm in the poor house too. I have a Troy Post Wolf on order. I'll have to wait on my SMS Solar Flare (aka SMS bees in a box) for now.

All good things in all good time.
 #155740  by Pete B.

Hey Brad can you describe the tonal diff between this one and the Earth Drive?
Maybe post a clip showing how they characteristically differ?
Thx!
Pete
 #155808  by SarnoMusicSolutions

Pete B. wrote:Hey Brad can you describe the tonal diff between this one and the Earth Drive?
Maybe post a clip showing how they characteristically differ?
Thx!
Pete

Hey Pete.

Until we get some samples online, it's hard to do it with words, but I'll try. The Earth Drive is a true "overdrive" with respect to the circuit and the means of clipping. By nature the Earth Drive's overdrive is a warmer, mellower, more natural amp-ish type clipping that transitions from clean to dirty in a gentle way.

The Solar Flare is a true "distortion" pedal in the way it clips more abruptly and squarely. The MXR Distortion+ and the Rat are also true, classic distortion pedals. The Solar Flare embodies much of what we like about Jerry's old script MXR, a more singing, "fuzzy", harmonically rich dirt that responds greatly to the picking dynamics. It induces feedback very easily. But unlike the old classic distortion pedals, the Solar Flare has a more modern fidelity, and the overall "voicing" or EQ tone shape is more warm, full, organic, and very, very detailed and transparent with respect to the definition of the pick attack. It makes single note leads very fun and long singing notes are very enjoyable on the eardrums. And even for hard rockers, it's a good pedal for power chords and shredders, just like the MXR and Rat are. Electronically, it's a lot more like the Earth Drive than the MXR or Rat, but the means of clipping is done like those 70's classics instead of the Earth Drive's "overdrive" clipping circuit topology.

There are about a dozen or so Solar Flares out there in the world now, so hopefully I'll be able to point to some demo videos and samples. I haven't made any myself yet, mostly because I'm too shy and would rather have some better pickers do it.

Brad
 #155912  by seniorpesca

mine arrived today and i really digging it so far. i placed it after my archer klone (mu fx octave>tru tron>archer klone>solar flare>)

such a cool late 70s vibe going on. i need to make some demos through my rig

thank you brad!!
 #155928  by TI4-1009

tommybo wrote:how much are these - and how do I order one? thanks and peace
Read the first post!