#155124  by tatittle

I was doing research on the polarity of various pups to mix in a strat set-up (before I realized I could just test whether the pups attract or repel each other to determine polarity) when I cam across the post below. It seems to be written by a tech at Suhr guitars, which would give it more weight to me. Usually folks cite Peter Green as the guy who used "out of phase" wiring in his signature sound; but this guy speaks of "Garcia". Maybe its just a typo? I can't think of another Garcia that wouldn't call for a first name besides Jerry...have I been missing something: did Jerry ever use "out of phase" pickups? Here's the quote, only the sentence citing "Garcia" is relevant...

"Suhr humbucker color codes bridge pickup are identical to a Duncan including polarity.
Out of phase is pretty horrible sounding unless you are in to Garcia and Hum canceling usually preferred.
Humbuckers can be wired inside out and most manufacturers will change wind direction and polarity for you.
Never reverse the black and white on a single coil unless you know the issue and pitfalls of doing this. Start wire usually black should always be closer to ground.
Most pickup shops including us will remagnetize / reverse polarity of a single coil for free, just the cost of shipping.
 #155126  by hippieguy1954

Bobby used out of phase wiring, but Jerry did not. A lot of folks seem to associate Jerry with phase in general. It's probably because he was known for using the phase 100. That guy you quoted just doesn't know the details, but wants to sound like he does.
 #155172  by tatittle

Yeah thats about what I figured based on my experience. Didnt know about Bobby using it...ill have to keep an ear open and listen for that. Any songs he regularly used out of phase combo's?
 #155197  by tatittle

Yea okay...now that you say that I can recall those parts.
 #155198  by strumminsix

hippieguy1954 wrote:Early Scarlet Fire as well as LL Rain come to mind right away. Bobby used out of phase a lot here and there.
Bingo. Almost sounds like a light phaser. Also Dancin' in the streets.