#154465  by tommybo

hey all-just a quick question- after spending three hours reading all about preamp tubes my head is swimming- I know they all have different characteristics and gain and plate voltages - all I want to know is -what are the original preamp tubes that come with the sms? I was more than happy with the original sound it produced - after many preamp tube changes I just want to go back- so does anybody know what the original preamp tubes were? thanks, tommy bo
 #154466  by lightningbolt

Right from the SMS JG Mod manual...

The unit currently ships with a pair of selected Shuguang tubes. These are
currently proving to be great sounding, low-microphonic, and reliable tubes. There are a ton
of tubes out there to be had. Here are a few types that also work well in the "Classic":
12AX7 (also called ECC83 or ECC803 in European nomenclature), 5751, 12AY7, and
 #154468  by tommybo

thanks for the answer-shuguang 12ax7-a it is- time to order! again thanks for your help-peace
 #154551  by SarnoMusicSolutions

If you wanna dabble in "tube rolling", I recommend finding a pair of good old RCA, GE or Tung-Sol's from the 60s. New-Old-Stock or Used-Tests-Good are all fine. Just try to find ones that are tested for reasonably low microphonics.

The vintage US tubes are hard to beat. They're just pricey and a bit of a chore to source.

B
 #154552  by tommybo

Brad- I did go thru a 6 month period of "tube rolling" and I came to the conclusion that it sounded best with the shugangs- just my opinion and ears- I fell in love with your sms preamp the very first time I heard it and just wanted to go back to that time-----thanks for such a great product- cant wait to get a earth drive and your new distortion pedal- peace - TommyBo
 #154553  by tommybo

Brad- I did go thru a 6 month period of "tube rolling" and I came to the conclusion that it sounded best with the shugangs- just my opinion and ears- I fell in love with your sms preamp the very first time I heard it and just wanted to go back to that time-----thanks for such a great product- cant wait to get a earth drive and your new distortion pedal- peace - TommyBo
 #154556  by tatittle

I agree that the Chinese Shugang can sound terrific in that style circuit, especially for clean tones. I think Ruby brand uses alot of them. They werent my fav for natural overdrive, but not terrible either. The thing with new/Chinese tubes is they dont have the quality control of years past (US/Euro), so you may go thru a few before you find one that is superior. That is what the "selected" means, when you get the SMS that work has already been done for you. If you want a heavier overdrive from your preamps the European and East Euro tubes can be great. You still have to go thru the work of selecting individual tubes with NOS/used USA/Euro's though bc they have been sitting around so long nobody knows whether they have been used or what. Most tube testers are reliable beyond a point for this either bc they dont test the tube at specific higher voltages of your amp. I have had exc sounding tubes in one amp sound no good in different amps, perhaps due to voltage differences.
 #154557  by tatittle

I agree that the Chinese Shugang can sound terrific in that style circuit, especially for clean tones. I think Ruby brand uses alot of them. They werent my fav for natural overdrive, but not terrible either. The thing with new/Chinese tubes is they dont have the quality control of years past (US/Euro), so you may go thru a few before you find one that is superior. That is what the "selected" means, when you get the SMS that work has already been done for you. In other words, the first ShuGang you buy and install may not sound as good as what came with it bc they handpick the best out of a whole bunch before shipping the pre new. Chances you will get one are probably better than 50/50, perhaps not much though. Thats what alot of relabelers do today, they contract with the few producers to pick out certain spec tubes which they then can sell with confidence they couldnt otherwise.
If you want a heavier overdrive from your preamps the European and East Euro tubes can be great. You still have to go thru the work of selecting individual tubes with NOS/used USA/Euro's though bc they have been sitting around so long nobody knows whether they have been used or what. Most tube testers are not reliable beyond a point for this either bc they dont test the tube at specific higher voltages of your amp. I have had exc sounding tubes in one amp sound no good in different amps, perhaps due to voltage differences.

Most 12AX7's are either 15mm "shortplate" or 17mm "longplate". The longplate variety are more likely to be "microphonic". They can still sound fabulo0us microphonic, but you will have more background noise, clicks/pops, etc. The worst micros can hum and oscillate so much they are unusable for anybody. The longplate tend to have higher gain so alot of peeps like them for the 1st stage of preamp.

Output tubes may have an even larger affect on the tone of an amp, especially when played loudly.