#151924  by gratefulredhead

I recently bought an LTD ST-213, a really solidly built Strat style guitar. I got the version with the rosewood finger board. They go for less than $400). I upgraded the guts with Emerson pots, D Allen Voodoo 69s and an Alembic Blaster. Total investment was less than $700. The result was stunning. The tone is total Jerry, early 70's. The guitar plays amazingly well too. These are great instruments- not just for the money- but they really hold up against Fender guitars that are 3 times as much. The D Allen pickups are the hero here. Wow!

Anyhow, just word to the wise for somebody trying to get into a high quality Jerry axe with limited funds.
 #151931  by DaveAlembic

I've considered doing the same with their blonde
maple necked strat but I already did it w a red MIM
strat
the voodoo 69's and the blaster really make it sing !
 #158304  by Jon S.

Sweet axe and mods!

I've done some searching but wasn't able to figure out how I might buy just a DA V '69 middle PUP (not the full set). Before I email DA directly, I was wondering if you might know. Thanks.

P.S. Received one of these yesterday for kicks and fun (haven't tried it yet - still recovering from hernia surgery - hopefully I'll be back to moving JBL E-loaded cabs again soon :oops: ).

#158309  by Character 0

I am looking at the Dave Allen Voodoo 69 pickups as well for my strat to get that garcia Alligator strat tone. I was also considering DiMarzio Are 67 pick ups, but maybe the dave Allen are def the way to go?
 #158312  by gratefulredhead

Character 0 wrote:I am looking at the Dave Allen Voodoo 69 pickups as well for my strat to get that garcia Alligator strat tone. I was also considering DiMarzio Are 67 pick ups, but maybe the dave Allen are def the way to go?
I strongly feel that they are. They have a quality about them that definitely sounds like Alligator. My guitar is also a swamp ash body like Alligator, but I believe it's mainly the pickups that are getting it there.
 #158317  by Jon S.

Well, I got my answer from the source as to whether DA will sell just a middle PUP alone which is no. Some rationale, but that's for another time's forgotten space.

I'll do some research now on "next best" alternatives, e.g., perhaps a Fender Custom Shop '69. What do you think, gratefulredhead?
 #158319  by milobender

I can certainly make one for you. I use vintage spec wire and alnico magnets... wrapped to your specs if you'd like, or per mine "o) You can return it if you don't like it, or exchange for another tweaked. :smile: :smile: :smile:
 #158322  by Free Jazz

This may need to be a separate thread, but is there a consensus as to an approximate wind for the following single-coil middle pickups:
Alligator > Early Wolf
Spring '78 Wolf

I'd be interested in respective values for neck pickups as well.
 #158323  by Jon S.

milobender wrote:I can certainly make one for you. I use vintage spec wire and alnico magnets... wrapped to your specs if you'd like, or per mine "o) You can return it if you don't like it, or exchange for another tweaked. :smile: :smile: :smile:
Email sent. :)
 #158325  by milobender

Also, forgot to mention, I make my own bobbins completely... I use unclad epoxy circuit board for the top and bottom, thin but really sturdy.
 #159321  by franklins_timmy

Sorry to revive an older thread. Just watched @gratefulredhead Shakedown clip he posted in the Jerry rig soundclips thread. Killer playing and tone man!! So did some searching to see what he had in that guitar and found this thread. @Jon S. was wondering what you thoughts are on the GGG stratoblaster pedal you posted? Looking in to getting one.
 #159324  by TI4-1009

When I built my SG/Wolf I put in a Waldo buffer along with the GGG Blaster to get two options. Both give a boost and do similar things, in the same ballpark. I'd say Waldo's is a bit smoother, the Blaster has a little edge to it- plus it has a pot to dial in how much you want. Some of the difference is the circuit, some the components (type and quality). I think Waldo weighed in on the GGG Blaster in a thread way back.