rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#159309  by zambiland
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 8:21 pm
The BF Super with a good cabinet doesn't do it for you? It's similar to a Pro Reverb, aka, a half a Twin. You can probably sub the rectifier tube out with a solid state replacement if you want to tighten it up and bit and lose some of the sag.
 #159312  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Mon Dec 11, 2017 11:13 pm
Oh, it does it for me, it is a killer amp, and it is in great shape for being 45 years old, but it's a 45 year old amp. I just cringe when I think about the next failure during a gig or something. I find that I avoid playing it, and mostly only for gigs because it is the only piece of vintage gear I own. It has done it's duty and I get tons of compliments about the tone and I love the tone. I have had to replace the reverb tank so far (damaged during shipping) and one other time it needed work, but very minor. I've retired it from gig service after a beer got spilled on the cab (no liquid got into the amp). I went with the rackmount sms and rocktron v300 route. It is a piece of fender history and i am just not as comfortable as I would like bringing it to gigs and bars. I think I am going to bring it to practice and rip it up for a month or two and really enjoy her before I let her go. Anyway, if anyone is interested, I would sell it for 800.
 #159315  by GeneralGoldilocks
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 12:14 am
Sweet rig, I love the Guild, I grew up about 5 minutes from the Westerly factory, I have owned lots of Westerly Guilds, but never a Starfire Bass, that one looks sweet. Although I try to stay away from Vintage gear, there is always a soft spot in my heart for Westerly Guilds. It is ironic I was super pissed fender bought them in 95.
 #159317  by Searing75
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:25 am
zambiland wrote:I hear you. Although I bring vintage gear to gigs all the time. I have a whole 1967 rig!

My hernia hurts! My back does as well. Be careful lifting that stuff man!
 #159318  by Jon S.
 Tue Dec 12, 2017 5:37 am
Blacklodgebob wrote:Dude just get a FYD jerry special 6l6 50w
That's what I did a couple of months ago and couldn't be happier.
 #159329  by RLW
 Wed Dec 13, 2017 3:48 am
zambiland wrote:I hear you. Although I bring vintage gear to gigs all the time. I have a whole 1967 rig!

That is a sexy bit of kit.

I have a DR - put a Weber D120 clone in it - sounds quite nice. It's not perfect tone but it's nice and the speaker improves the tone quite a bit. I also have a whole SMS / Carvin / SSP rig but that's another thread. The DR is easy to move around, sounds very nice, you can mic it, and the speaker change really pushed the tone - though in fairness is breaks quite quickly so the headroom isn't quite there as it would be with a Twin ... and if you're into the weight of a Twin then I say you can get better tone and an easier package to move around if you do a rack set up with wheels, put your 2x12 on top and you can roll it around much easier than lugging a Twin; or, clearly, put casters on your Twin ...

*** Reading back to the early posts and I 100% agree - and I wish I had read this before my various titrations of kit ... the SMS / Carvin / E120 rig is the best set up and it's not that expensive. Put the kit into a wheelie rack, set your SSP 2x12 on top and roll that pig around with ease. I've got a 12 unit rack with vented spacers between components, and lots of room at the bottom to add kit (covered with solid 2U spacers). It's light, about the same height as a 2x12, and like I said - you can put the cab on top and just roll it around to move it. I think that tone is ridiculously beautiful and very Jerry, OR not - play some jazz through it ... plug in an ES-335 and play a little Phish, or whatever hollow body(ish) axe you have ... it's a nice tone and easy to move set up. OK - I'm done repeating myself now :)
 #159332  by TI4-1009
 Wed Dec 13, 2017 8:49 am

That's beautiful! Has to be a Courtenay?
 #159334  by Jon S.
 Wed Dec 13, 2017 9:43 am
RLW wrote:
zambiland wrote:... the SMS / Carvin / E120 rig is the best set up and it's not that expensive.
I have that full rig, too.

Damn, I've got too much stuff! Look for some upcoming Garage Sale ads from me soon re: top shelf Dead gear. :oops:
 #159335  by Blacklodgebob
 Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:07 am
the SMS / Carvin / E120 rig is the best set up and it's not that expensive

totally disagree, that power amp doesnt sound very good. you could get better tone out of a quilter block on a rack shelf, carvin wasnt engineered for guitar, the quilter was. you can get a pushed mac tone easier out of a Quilter, and it costs less than the Carvin.
 #159337  by RLW
 Wed Dec 13, 2017 10:26 am
Blacklodgebob wrote:the SMS / Carvin / E120 rig is the best set up and it's not that expensive

totally disagree, that power amp doesnt sound very good. you could get better tone out of a quilter block on a rack shelf, carvin wasnt engineered for guitar, the quilter was. you can get a pushed mac tone easier out of a Quilter, and it costs less than the Carvin.

Which exact Quilter? In the UK they look slightly higher priced than what I paid for the Carvin - which I did buy in dollars and take it home in my luggage, so maybe it's import duty, not sure.