rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#143092  by WolfmanJohn
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:14 am
I've currently got stock '65 reissue twin and while I love the thing, it's too darn loud and it's hard to play loud enough to get the right sound. I've got a couple E-120s I was planning on making an extension cab for, but I'm rethinking my options. Do you guys think it'd be a better option, volume and tone wise, to throw an E-120 in a Deluxe Reverb? My buddy has one he's trying to get rid of. Also, if I didn't want to replace the speaker in the Deluxe is it possible to throw an E-120 in a 1x12 and just run it externally?

Thanks
 #143093  by dleonard
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:19 am
I'd also like to add to your question (since I am terrible with this stuff) if you could do the same with a Blues Jr. I also ended up getting rid of my Twin for the exact same reasons.
 #143099  by hippieguy1954
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 10:57 am
I have found that if you cannot use enough power to push the E120 to get the tone, then a K120 will do much better.

For the Deluxe Reverb, I'd go for the K120 or even a D120, but the E120 will sound great. There will be no speaker breakup with the E120, only amp distortion at high volume.

The E120 is a 300 watt speaker
The K120 is a 100 watt
The D120 is a 50 watt

The E120 will sound great in the Deluxe, but you will have to try it to see if you like it.

You certainly can throw a E120 in an extension cab as well for the Deluxe Reverb. It won't hurt anything.

I had an original 1965 Deluxe Reverb for many years with a E120 in it and I loved it. I also used a second E120 in an extension cab. I never had any problems. I got rid of it because I needed more clean headroom before breakup at higher volumes. Otherwise I would have kept it. Looking back, I should have kept it just to have. Live and learn? :cry:
 #143104  by milobender
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 1:47 pm
I had a Deluxe Reverb throughout the 70s too... never realized the value of good tubes at the time... I never liked the way it sounded (original speaker/tubes/caps...) but kept it around. It started to crackle and hiss at which point it lived, unused, in the hallway... until I stubbed my toe on it, hard enough to break the toe nicely. I sold it to a guy for $125... man, I kick my self regularly now... I wish I had that thing back. :? :? :?
 #143105  by Searing75
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:07 pm
Sell them all and get an SMS preamp and a K or E120. Put the speaker in a 1x12 cabinet. As for power, try to find an MC50, or if you want something new and easy, grab a Carvin dcm200l. You will be happier than a pig in shit!

I wish someone told me this when I fists started searching for the sound! Maybe somebody did?

Yeah, I like the delux, but that tube rectifier gets too mushy on the low end.
Last edited by Searing75 on Thu Dec 04, 2014 3:43 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #143107  by mgbills
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 2:35 pm
I love my 1968 Deluxe w/D120. I have multiple posts on the tone stack change, so I won't bore you with that. I love the tone. Some day I'll drop in a some changes away from the 5U4GB rectifier, but it still pleases me with a lower volume/lighter weight early Jerry sound. I do have NOS tubes, but I'm not entirely sure I'd be that fussy again.

When I get the GCX & pedals more portable, I'll still use the Deluxe. Right now I just grab the Deluxe and the Tru-Tron and jam. The Mu stays in the rack.

I seriously need to trim my SMS>GCX> Mc system down so it's more portable. I don't get to play it loud, because its house bound.
 #143109  by Jon S.
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:13 pm
Searing75 wrote:Sell them all and get an SMS preamp and a K or E120. Put the speaker in a 1x12 cabinet. As for power, try to find an MC50, or if you want something new and easy, grab a Carvin dcm200l. You will be happier than a pig in shit!

I wish someone told me this when I fists started searching for the sound! Maybe somebody did?

Yeah, I like the delux, but that tube rectifier gets too mushy on the low end.
+1

I would add, though, that if you're planning to use a Strat and turn the bass way down on your Deluxe Reverb, it may work for you depending on how much volume and headroom you actually need (I'd need to hear your drummer to answer that!). Especially if you replace the 6V6s with 6L6s (requires a rebias) and the tube rectifier with a solid state plug-in (don't do it to a vintage DR without doing a cap job first).

Andy Ruhl posted this ages ago, it's still useful: http://acruhl.freeshell.org/mga/main/deluxemod.html
 #143111  by PHersh
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 5:49 pm
I've used an E-120, along with a plug-in solid state rectifier, in my Deluxe Reverb-type amp and it sounds real good to me with NOS tubes. It will definitely deliver sweet breakup at more reasonable volumes than a Twin Reverb.

If you swap in the SS rectifier, don't forget to rebias.

Also, if the DRRI's baffle is made of particle board, you'll want to replace it with a plywood baffle (preferably birch; and then there's grille cloth) as particle board can't hold the 23-pound E-120. Using one in an extension cab makes more sense initially, while deciding whether the amp/speaker combination works for you.

I agree that ultimately, a FYD or SMS preamp and MC50 driving a JBL will be more satisfying than modding up a DR. But as a less costly interim step, a well-tuned DR driving a JBL sounds creamy. And you won't need any overdrive pedals. However, as Jon S. suggests above, the DR (un-mic'd) can run out of volume if you're playing with a loud drummer.

Also, I would recommend against using 6L6 tubes in a DR. It's not worth the trouble and expense.
 #143112  by James-T
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 6:43 pm
We use a blackface Deluxe (non reverb) with a 1x12 ext cab with a E120 in our band. Sounds fantastic. That amp is limited in volume and head room however and is not a great match for our two drummers. It's my singer's amp, (my cab on loan these days) and he plays mostly rhythm with it. Very unique and sparkly but thick sound, but not ultra clean. But speaking from experience - it's a great combo. The amp is really true to itself - not much colouring if any by the speaker and it gives it extra volume for sure.

Peace, :smile:

James
 #143113  by tatittle
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:02 pm
Your concern with an external cab will be the impedance of the speakers. Typically one wants the same impedance (4,8, or 16 ohm models) for each speaker so 1 isn't louder than the other. A Deluxe is designed to run 8 ohms I believe, but it can handle either 4 or 16 with some minor change in tone/volume/sweet spot: a 4 ohm load will be louder and 16 ohm softer. 2 x 8ohm JBLs each hooked up to the amp (1 normal speaker out the other extention jack) will give 4 ohm total load. 2 x 16 ohm JBL's wired like that will be 8ohms. You don't want 2x 4ohm JBLs (they are rare anyway) wired like that (2 ohms load).

If the Deluxe is vintage I would wire a preamp out jack. Very easy and then you can use it standard and with a power amp for tighter bass and more volume. I am not sure how easy it is to do that with a RI though.
 #143114  by mgbills
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 8:57 pm
I'm fortunate to be able to play with a drummer that's been playing jazz since the '50's. The first time we broke into The Eleven he never missed a beat…just cracked a big ole' smile. He doesn't know a single GD tune, but it doesn't even matter. He's almost 70, and really enjoys the jam aspect. Absolute joy. No volume issues, and can play anything. He seems to get the fills right.

The Deluxe is just right for that group. Unfortunately, he's only around about 4 weekends a year.

I might do that SS rectifier soon. But I would say that getting a older Deluxe is probably more expensive than an SMS and an MC50. About the same once you get a JBL sorted out I guess.
 #143116  by Smolder
 Thu Dec 04, 2014 9:38 pm
Any silverface fender (except a bassman) and a jbl will get you very close. A big jerry rig with E120's is for stadiums... Most of us won't get to do that. Match the jbl wattage (see above) to just above the amp's. Big 6L6 bottles will get you closer that 6V6's, but I have a deluxe reverb that gets there.

The SMS/MC50 rig is an excellent suggestion (I have this exact rig, but also a twin and a bandmaster).
 #143127  by Smolder
 Fri Dec 05, 2014 11:44 am
Diggey wrote:Correct me amp tech types if I'm wrong but you can yank power tubes and drop the twin down to half wattage. I believe they are 85 watts stock? Here is a good article link:

http://www.premierguitar.com/articles/2 ... duce-power

Yes... Either the inner or outer two. It's a good idea to check the bias when you do as plate voltages can rise with the lower load. Also... It changes the output transformer load from 4 ohms to 8 ohms. Many disconnect one speaker which further reduces volume.