rukind.com

Grateful Dead Music Forum

A place to talk about the music of the Grateful Dead 

#138449  by czyfingers
 Mon Apr 21, 2014 6:28 pm
Jon,
Is that Carlson yours? I'd never heard of it, but just researched it and it looks like a sweet little gem.
 #138468  by Jon S.
 Tue Apr 22, 2014 11:17 am
Not mine (unfortunately), just a pic I pulled off the 'net, but my friend Jon C (also a TGP regular) owns one. I'm not going to kid you - it's heavy! - but sounds gorgeous.
 #138472  by czyfingers
 Tue Apr 22, 2014 1:21 pm
After seeing the photo and doing the research, I was very surprised to see that it was 65+lbs. if it sounds as nice as it looks, I'd lug it around anyway.
 #149611  by tntawney
 Sat Nov 07, 2015 8:54 pm
This is my rack that I have accumulated through the years. I seem to have a pre amp addiction. The crunch master had a good tune up by Joe at Shakedown Amps. Sounds killer. The SMS is still my favorite though.

#149616  by tntawney
 Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:53 am
I use the 921 with the Trio and crunchmaster. The SMS reverb is great sounding also in my opinion.
 #149625  by tntawney
 Sun Nov 08, 2015 5:22 pm
mkaufman wrote:Can you please detail your Crunch Master settings, including which connections you use?

tx,
mk
I use basically the same settings as on the Crunchmaster as I do the SMS. The only thing I do different then the SMS is that I have the "Bright" button on the Cruchmaster turned on. I have te MC2105 plugged into the Tube Out on the back of amp. I tried all of them and the Tube Out sounded the best. Some guys use the Cabinetulator Mix Out, but to me it didn't sound as good as my Tube Out. The Tube Out Volume on the back I turn all the way up and then back just a bit. About 8.5 or 9 usually does the trick. Both the switches on the back I have switched to the left. That is about as detailed as I can get. Like I said, Joe at Shakedown Amps had it for awhile and gave it some mojo.

On the front I have =

Treble all the way up
Bass all the way off
Middle at 7 or 8

Hope this helps if you have Crunchmaster or a Bluesmaster. Also it helps to have the right speaker, pickups, reverb, etc.

Pics of front and back for you

#150003  by tcsned
 Sat Dec 05, 2015 10:33 pm
I've made a few changes. I'm using my older Mac 2100 that was fixed up a while back, I also pulled the Haz Mutron for a Q+, for the time being I pulled out my Earth Drive as it has an on/off switch issue.

Current rig:
Scarlet Fire Wolf or Milobender modded Tele -->
HubBub junction box-->Boss OC-3-->Q-Tron+-->T-Rex Dr Swamp-->T-Rex Spin Doctor-->Pigtronix Envelope Phaser-->T-Rex Replica -->
Korg DTR-1 tuner -->
SMS Classic preamp-->
McIntosh MC2100-->
2x12 Hogan cab w/Beyma Liberty speakers-->
Giant snowman

#150006  by Searing75
 Sun Dec 06, 2015 6:44 am
I tried the giant snowman myself. I liked it at first, but then felt it was too sterile sounding. Too cold. It reminded me of a digital compressor in a way. I still have it, but don't feel that it suits guitar tone. Anyways, it sure looks good in your rig though!
 #150011  by tcsned
 Sun Dec 06, 2015 11:04 am
Searing75 wrote:I tried the giant snowman myself. I liked it at first, but then felt it was too sterile sounding. Too cold. It reminded me of a digital compressor in a way. I still have it, but don't feel that it suits guitar tone. Anyways, it sure looks good in your rig though!
If you run the Snowman pre-power amp you definitely get that cold, sterile thing. Post cabinet it just kind of looms with a creepy grin . . . not quite Elf on the Shelf creepy, but close.