#160783  by Jimv

Just got my first SMS preamp.
OH MY HOLY @%^)&*^!!!
I spoke with Brad on the phone about tone. Told him I wanted tone "dripping with tube saturated crystal clear goodness" at which point he added, "and sparkly?" Yup.
Wow! it far exceeds that. I cant stop playing.

I'm experimenting with some PA/studio amps, nothing to write home about, also...
I am playing through a tone tubby purple haze. I built a box to the specs on TT's website (the bigger 1X12 cab) with some select wood and a few tweaks of my own.... very happy with it. pix to come. I like the sound better than in a trucker style so far at low to med volume. Not sure about cranked yet.

A very big thank you to all posting here. I would never found this happiness without the free,honest,heartfelt info written here, especially the long term members. - next, jerry guitar, better buffer...
... and now, back to birdsong....
 #160793  by Blacklodgebob

Its not hand wired, its PCB like a boss pedal, so no serviceable parts inside, make sure to mail to right back to Sarno if you encounter issues.

Cant recomend the FYD hand wired with full reverb tank enough - if you can stand the 2u size! Happy your happy with the SMS - Ive had a couple of them and they work, Waldo has some reverb modules if you want to make that solid state reverb unit sound a bit better.
 #160803  by Jimv

I knew what I was buying when I ordered it. Many, many things came into play deciding which preamp to go with for me. No doubt in my mind that I'd be blown away by the fyd. -Reverb is such a touchy thing also. If I had my way, I'd have the perfect tubedriven spring invention from heaven. Next maybe a standard spring then add a touch of a lexicon this or that. I like hall. anyway, the rack goes from tiny to bigger quick and I play all over my small town mostly in small places. The sms is a phat start for me. The scaled down thing is definatly what this rig is.
 #160810  by Jon S.

I own both a FYD and a SMS. They're both well-built and sound great. The major tonal difference between the two, to me, is in the reverb. This difference may be critical to others but it's not to me, I'm quite happy with each unit.
Jimv liked this
 #160812  by Jimv

I think Brad is putting an awesome reverb in these things. I can see why he uses the one he does. It sounds super clear and lusious. To my ears, most reverb starts to sound crappy when pushed past a certain point. Even spring. Stock sms is super sweet up to around one o'clock (but i am still experimenting..)That is more than I've been able to get out of my old ss fender w spring. So my reverb happy meter is runnin' hot right now! Will I continue to search for the perfect reverb? Yes! Just like my search for the perfect sound. Hope I never get there, cause the process is so much freakin fun! :P
 #160814  by strumminsix

Blacklodgebob wrote: Tue Mar 20, 2018 6:45 am Its not hand wired, its PCB like a boss pedal, so no serviceable parts inside, make sure to mail to right back to Sarno if you encounter issues.

Cant recomend the FYD hand wired with full reverb tank enough - if you can stand the 2u size! Happy your happy with the SMS - Ive had a couple of them and they work, Waldo has some reverb modules if you want to make that solid state reverb unit sound a bit better.
Handwired being superior is debatable. Easier to service, yes. But PCB is not all that difficult for a good tech.

Listening to Jerry's reverb it sounds like dripping sweet, delicious studio reverb not a spring and tank reverb.

And that's what the SMS delivers to my ear.
 #160815  by GeneralGoldilocks

I have a FYD combo with the TRP with the full tube driven spring and tank, and a newer SMS, and I love them both. I do like the verb on the FYD slightly better, but the stock SMS digital one sounds good enough to me!
 #160825  by kralltime

Love my SMS's (I have two) - was thinking of picking up a revelation to mess with, anyone have any experiences to share on that unit?
 #160827  by Jimv

Handwired being superior is debatable. Easier to service, yes. But PCB is not all that difficult for a good tech.

Listening to Jerry's reverb it sounds like dripping sweet, delicious studio reverb not a spring and tank reverb.

And that's what the SMS delivers to my ear.
I agree. I am super happy with the SMS.
strumminsix liked this