#160315  by mikelawson

I did. I thought it sounded great, though the sound guy mentioned he used a little bit of de-esser on it in the house mix because it is so bright. I guess I'll keep fiddling with it until I tweak the exact sound. Jerry's settings are a good starting point, but I think tweaks are needed for smaller venues than RFK Stadium. :)
 #160317  by Searing75

I usually use the Earth Drive, always on, right before the SMS preamp. This gives me that little bit of grit Jerry had with blasting his volume. Lately I have been using a Klon clone I built from a kit in place of the Earth Drive. It’s similar to the Earth Drive, but it has more upper mids, and I dig it. Either or really. I am sure to go back to the ED in that position, although I know use it for mid level grit on leads.
 #160320  by Tennessee Jedi

Searing75 wrote: Tue Feb 13, 2018 9:28 pm I usually use the Earth Drive, always on, right before the SMS preamp.
I think I might try this - I love that ultra clean sound my Sarno gives me but the combo of the Ibanez guitar / Mosvalve / E 120 is overly bright and at the levels Im playing will never get a natural break up
 #160723  by Jedstein

Hey Mike (or anyone else who wants to chime in and help),

I was re-reading this feed, because I have a very similar new rig (SMS --with new Waldo-mod (which is sick, by the way), MC50, and a Furman). But -- it's in a really heavy metal rack -- and I'm pondering getting one more like the one you have, which appears to be a good 15 lbs lighter, to avoid what seems like an inevitable back injury. I know you went for a knock-off on Ebay. It's looks to be quite a bit less than the Gator. Has it held up well for you?

Also -- that breakout box looks pretty handy. Where does one get one of those??? Right now, I have the speaker wires coming out of the Mac into an input for the cable that goes out to the speaker, and it just kind of dangles there flimsily, and I've already yanked it out by accident a couple times. Breakout box looks like a better solution. Any other recommendations for a better way of doing this would be welcome!
 #160724  by mikelawson

The knock off is fine. Probably made in the same factory or next door as the name brands. It all comes from China.

I had the wiring assembled by Jaime Maze, who put in the breakout box, hard wired all ohm outs to it. He is down at Bluesman Vintage Guitars, in Spring Hill, TN. Jaime is my amp tech for everything, and he is really good.

http://bluesmanvintage.com/contact.html
 #160725  by Jedstein

Right on -- thanks for the quick response. This would be a no-brainer (if I lived in Tennessee). :cry: He obviously did a great job -- enjoy!
 #160727  by Jedstein

milobender wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 12:46 pm Wish I was closer :smile: :smile: :smile:
I was going to reach out to you on this! But I suppose you would need the actual Mac to do it? And the idea of shipping that thing across the country and back has me less than excited . . .
milobender liked this
 #160731  by mikelawson

You should give him a call, he will probably tell you the ohm junction box thing, where it came from, etc. He is a nice guy. Tell him I said to call. It may be as simple as him selling to the box and cables and you put it together.
 #160734  by RiseandFall

Just like my rig except I have a pair of K 120's.
Have you tried lowering your bass setting to zero? You might like it better....you get more snap and definition on the lower strings.
If you find that too bright make sure the cabinet is on the floor, not a table. It will make a big difference.
Also, I tend to run my SMS volume at around 12:00. My MC50 at about 90%, then adjust overall volume down to a manageable volume on the guitar.
 #160739  by mikelawson

My Tiger is pretty bright. I play around with bass setting but others, like Stu Allen, for instance, aren’t rilling it all off. With the 1-12 it is too brittle all off. I’m getting a pretty sweet tone so far but as always I will twiddle knobs until I find that moment of joy :-)
 #160740  by Jedstein

mikelawson wrote: Wed Mar 14, 2018 3:21 pm You should give him a call, he will probably tell you the ohm junction box thing, where it came from, etc. He is a nice guy. Tell him I said to call. It may be as simple as him selling to the box and cables and you put it together.
Thanks, Mike. Will do.
 #160773  by Searing75

Sounding good Bob. Especially that jam in Playin’! The Boogie is a nice little amp. One recommendation I have for you is more treble in your tone. Otherwise, keep it up!