#160574  by franklins_timmy

I panicked when I saw this post. Want to order another set of Voodoo 69s sometime. So I started looking around and came across these. https://www.planettone.com/product/69-v ... for-strat/
Anybody heard of these or tried them? Specs seem really similar to the D Allens except for the pickup resistance. I emailed him and asked if he could make a custom version with the neck & middle @ 5.8k and the bridge @ 6.2k. He said he could. At $100 for the set it may be worth a try.
 #160592  by franklins_timmy

So spent the last couple days emailing back are forth a bunch with the guy from planet tone. Really nice guy, very helpful, quick to respond. Told him the specs I wanted, talked to him about the tone I wanted, and sent him some clips. At the end of it all he asked why I wanted plain enamel. I told him because that is what is on the pickups I am currently using (Voodoo 69s) and I thought that was what Jerry's pickups were too. He said he thought formvar would be better for what I wanted. Is he right? Do I have it wrong about D Allen and Jerry's pickups being enamel? If anyone would chime in on enamel or formvar, it would be much appreciated.
 #160646  by Blacklodgebob

I would wait for the David Allens -

OR and having owned all the options mentioned -

Get a super II single made for the middle, then just pick some other pups for your N / B, I didnt find the Voodoo 69 bridge to be that special. In other words, having had a 2 sets of Voodoo's at this point, I've always ended up swapping out a couple of them depending on the guitar.
 #160655  by Jon S.

A couple of years ago, I contacted David Allen to obtain just a middle PUP for my Jerry-ified '99 USA Reverend Avenger. He wouldn't sell me one. He told me the PUP wouldn't work well except as within a full set of 3. This, to me, was nonsense. We mix and match PUPs all the time because we are all of us unique and not necessarily chasing the same exact specs and tones and the PUPs typically work fine for us that way. Plus they don't interact one to the next when playing just through one. However, it's Allen's business and if that's how he prefers to run it, so be it.

So, instead, I tested all 3 of the stock Kent Armstrong s-style PUPs from the Avenger in the middle position. The 6.0K bridge PUP sounded wonderful so I kept it there. When I A-B'd the guitar with my Scarlet Fire Wolf (DA's) middle position PUP, sure, the tones differ some (as would be expected, due to the two guitars' very different construction, even if the two PUPs actually did sound identical), but both are, for me, effective for playing Dead.

The bottom line for me is that, in my view, there are probably many middle Strat PUP options that could work. Indeed, I find the split middle Super II on my Philtone Jerrycaster more different sounding from both my Scarlet Fire Wolf's and Reverend Avenger's middle PUPs than either of the latter are to each other, yet all three are fine options for playing Dead.

The Avenger's bridge PUP is a 2-wire Dimarzio Super Distortion I bought new in college c. 1976-7; middle is the 6.0K Kent Armstrong strat PUP that was the Avenger's stock bridge PUP; neck PUP is a 9.0K Fralin Steel Pole 43 tapped at 6.0K. 5 way switch yields: bridge PUP alone; bridge and middle PUPs in parallel; middle PUP alone; neck PUP tapped; full neck PUP.

FrettyBoy liked this
 #160770  by kralltime

regarding the "vs Lollar's"... I have a Collings 360 ST with Lollar Blackface single coils that sound fantastic in that instrument - I would never even consider changing them out, but I do dig the D.Allens in my main squeeze Jerry guitar.
 #160823  by gdrfk1990

I am tweeking my swamp ash strat and am looking at several options. My question is wouldn't the fender original 57/62 pickups be the closest to alligator? Wasn't it a 57 strat with stock pickups? Wolf also had stock fender pickups are those more like the 69s or late strat pickups? Wolf also had Dimarzio SDS 1'sin 77/78 has anyone tried that? I wish it was cheap and easy to just try a bunch of different options :-) Keep in mind I'm using a waldo buffer not a strat blaster
 #160841  by Feedback

You should really at least correspond with Cavalier Pickups Rob DiStefano. He only builds single coil pickups and really knows his stuff. Great sounding pickups, very fair prices and one of the most no BS guys I have dealt with. He cuts right through all the marketing and other hype, can provide a lot of information and backs it up with great product.

http://www.frettech.com
Free Jazz, FrettyBoy liked this
 #160854  by Free Jazz

gdrfk1990 wrote: Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:25 am ... Wolf also had Dimarzio SDS 1'sin 77/78 has anyone tried that? I wish it was cheap and easy to just try a bunch of different options :-) Keep in mind I'm using a waldo buffer not a strat blaster
My ideal for three singles is Spring '78 with Blaster. Does anyone have an idea of the readings on his singles at that time? All identical, or tweaked as a set? Ceramic DiMarzio's?