#160745  by RLW

I did search, and I've asked a few people for advice, but I wanted to double check and post something here ... I was fortunate to find a cheap MC2300 and I want to set it up but have a few questions ...

SMS Classic into mono - via a 1/4 into rca converter? Or buy the splitter that will make it into both channels?

I have a 2x12 JBL E120 cab. So do I take a regular speaker 1/4 plug and strip off one end and wire it to the 4 ohms mono? That's 600 w? Will those speakers take that much power?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm just being extra cautious as I don't want to screw something up and blow up loads of vintage and expensive kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.
 #160845  by zambiland

RLW wrote: Fri Mar 16, 2018 5:49 am I did search, and I've asked a few people for advice, but I wanted to double check and post something here ... I was fortunate to find a cheap MC2300 and I want to set it up but have a few questions ...

SMS Classic into mono - via a 1/4 into rca converter? Or buy the splitter that will make it into both channels?

I have a 2x12 JBL E120 cab. So do I take a regular speaker 1/4 plug and strip off one end and wire it to the 4 ohms mono? That's 600 w? Will those speakers take that much power?

Sorry to be such a pain, but I'm just being extra cautious as I don't want to screw something up and blow up loads of vintage and expensive kit.

Thanks in advance for your help.
I would try just running it off one channel to begin with. That's still 300 watts and quite a bit of power for 2 JBLs. If it were me, I'd get a stereo reverb/effects unit and go stereo with each JBL getting its own channel. But that's just me.
 #160848  by lovetoboogie

I recommend you run it in Stereo and go into one channel with a 2x12"... I have done many Mac conversions for cats on this board and abound. It's fairly easy to fabricate a little jumper plate to mount on the back of a road case. Your 1/4" jacks for "in" and "speaker out" are on the plate. From there you jumper to the screw terminals, RCA, etc... Use the right/mono and keep your left gain level at zero...

There is no realistic situation where you will need the full 600w of power for guitar... The JBL's can take a beating but why push it? :)