#160424  by WokeUpDead

This is probably asked before but I can't easily find in a search so...

My twin is in the shop getting fixed and I may need to replace tubes. The tech recommends Ruby's he has in stock but researching online I'm getting too much info and but not enough info to put any solid recommendation together. I just want the best tone I can get without buying a $200 NOS tube. So who knows something about tubes and can recommend both power and preamp tubes and a shop to buy them?
 #160427  by Bigfoot Co.

A friend had his bandmaster overhauled by a local tech who is well known for Fender stuff. He stuck TAD 6L6's in there, sounds fantastic.

I have used quality pulls and NOS 6v6s in my deluxe reverb until recently when my stash went dry. I bought some JJs and they have been great. I was ready to NOT like them coming from RCA's etc, but they are more than decent. just one guy's opinion
 #160431  by WokeUpDead

Yeah and the JJ's are what I keep hearing don't sound good Yet you like them. Maybe it's just another one of those things most people don't notice the difference between? I mean I can find people for days discussing the various frequency response of this or that in a tube but without having tubes to compare to each other I wonder how much I'd notice.

That being said I was just comparing two strats. One is an american standard with stock pickups from 2004 and the other a 60s classic with Fender CS 69's and I could definitely tell the difference between the two.
 #160433  by Blacklodgebob

JJ's are perfectly fine tubes. That being said, in the V1 position of any tube amp, the first preamp tube is going to effect the sound the most. So trying different preamp tubes is a cheap way of getting a very slight change in frequency response. With that in mind, different tubes in your preamp take more wear than others, most notable, would be the reverb tubes, in which case, you could argue having any newer tested / otherwise decent tube in there would be a good idea, but they dont effect the tone AT ALL, and reverb is after all, just noise, so JJ tubes are great tubes for reverb. Why put an expensive tube in a socket that isn't going to have any effect on tone? As for power tubes, according to Mac at Two Rock, Keith at Redplate, and Dan at FYD, the matched power tube sets do make a difference - but that doesn't necessarily lead them to rush at NOS tubes - ever. TAD, 6L6 GC STR's, there are plenty of great power tubes out there. Currently digging the STR's, but I would say its best to check with the person who made your amp, or in your case the guy modding your circuit, maybe they will have a good idea of what they like.

With 6v6's I've had great luck with JJ Apex brand matched pairs - they sound great, and seem to last a really long time. Not so much tonal difference with premium tubes in the 6v6, had access to Tube Depot's entire inventory for a long time in Memphis, and really, the JJ's were great when bench tested side by side with basically everything they offer in a premium price point. My tech worked there and we were testing options with my 2 touring deluxe reverbs. Cost me a decent penny in labor - so happy to share that one.

Quick note on Gold pin tubes: I live on the Coast of California, and corrosion is a bitch. The Gold Pin tubes can be less trouble than pulling and scrubbing the pins on your tubes 1-2 times a year, but really, if you live on the ocean, you should be doing that to all your tubes anyway.
 #160441  by Searing75

I like the Shuguang 12AX7’s in V2 of a Twin. I pull V1. Don’t need it if your not using the channel. Power tubes.....I used to always recommend Winged C’s, but I guess they are not made anymore. Bummer! JJ’s are okay. Solid, but always sounded dull to my ears.
 #160479  by frankenstein260

Groove Tubes, they have a selection of power and pre amp tubes that are made by the same machines that made GE tubes.
 #160497  by lovetoboogie

For all my Fender and Boogie work calling for 6L6GC's I use the Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR's without issue. Using them consistently in all service work and in my main gigging rig...

Not associated with this seller but I purchase from him regularly and have had zero failures...

https://www.ebay.com/i/131645431266?chn=ps
Gr8fulCadi liked this
 #160499  by Gr8fulCadi

lovetoboogie wrote: Mon Feb 26, 2018 2:07 pm For all my Fender and Boogie work calling for 6L6GC's I use the Tung Sol 6L6GC-STR's without issue. Using them consistently in all service work and in my main gigging rig...

Not associated with this seller but I purchase from him regularly and have had zero failures...

https://www.ebay.com/i/131645431266?chn=ps
The sellers/distributors of tubes plays a large part of what we as customers end up with. I too like the Tung Sols and currently use them in my Twin and Super, but I did have one dud and unfortunately didn’t use the quad until after 90 days so it was my lost for warranty.
I’ve used the ‘made in USA’ Groove Tubes which are not made anywhere near the USA in the past. One blew and had that white film all over the inside with just a few hours of use. Again, was it the tube or the seller? Hard to say.

I’m using a pair of Mullard reissue 6l6’s in my 5e3p proluxe and I really like them for the tweed power section. I just bought a used Gretsch Setzer sig 6120 and that, the proluxe and Boss Dm3 slap back, I’m in tone heaven right now..
 #160552  by WokeUpDead

I ended up with Ruby tubes. Recommended by my amp tech and cheap on musicians friend. Amp sounds way better.
 #160846  by zambiland

I would recommend everyone try the 7581A power tubes for Twins and similar amps. Back in the day, Alembic and the Dead crew would get military tubes by the pallet and most likely these are the ones. They have the biggest headroom, clearest bottom end and smooth, yet really crisp high end. Plus, they are rated for 5,000 hours MTBF. The older ones have gotten stupid pricey, but apparently the reissue is pretty close. I use 'em wherever a 6L6 would go, from my Showman to McIntosh MC30s.

If you want a midrangey, less hifi tone, maybe not the best choice, but definitely the right one for GD Fender tone, whether Jerry, Bobby, or Phil from back in the day.

Great, great tube.
Bigfoot Co. liked this
 #160855  by Feedback

JJs from Eurotube. They have been incredibly helpful for me. They test every set and match them, if you believe that means anything. NOS is BS. There have been NOS tubes for 50 years and have been picked over to a point now where one has to really question how good they can be.