#159643  by TI4-1009

PurpleTrails wrote:Which guitars are these for? Could you post pictures of the matching tops,

The Wolf/SG has a GGG blaster and a Wald buffer in the cavity. The Tiger has a Wald buffer and battery under the tiger plate.
joethepainter liked this
 #159811  by joethepainter

Jon S. wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 pm Another option that may be especially attractive for folks local to the Baltimore-DC area is Phil Jacoby http://www.philtone.com. He's done Dead style wiring for me on several guitars, for example (below), this Tiger-style axe he built me from scratch (neck, body, and all). Acknowledgement: When, at one point on that first guitar, Phil was stuck on part of the wiring (this one was his first Dead style wiring job - he's since done many more), Waldo helped us through it.
I don't know if anyone would use Phil Jacoby right about now, let alone recommend him...
https://www.thegearpage.net/board/index ... y.1862310/
brbadg liked this
 #159814  by brbadg

Jon S. wrote: Mon Jan 01, 2018 12:25 pm Another option that may be especially attractive for folks local to the Baltimore-DC area is Phil Jacoby http://www.philtone.com. He's done Dead style wiring for me on several guitars, for example (below), this Tiger-style axe he built me from scratch (neck, body, and all). Acknowledgement: When, at one point on that first guitar, Phil was stuck on part of the wiring (this one was his first Dead style wiring job - he's since done many more), Waldo helped us through it.

Jon seems to be a friend of this guy.Fair enough. A friend had his bass sit in the shop for a year ( with phone calls) and nothing was ever done to it.This prevented me from going to this guy for any work.I'd rather walk an inexperienced tech ( which I did) ( and thanks to the help on this forum) through a project than go to this guy. I should add that my friend was told he takes care of known working musicians first,so if you're just a part time guy,then I guess you're out of luck.

I'm happy that you got your work done for you Jon,as you've shown pictures more than a couple of times..

Some people just have the luck. Thankfully there are a few guys in my area that are more than capable.

It bothers me a little bit that you would recommend him at this point,because unless you are a working pro,you won't stand a chance of getting your project in a timely manner.I think people's expectations should be tempered in this manner.Thanks for your time.
joethepainter liked this
 #159867  by Jon S.

I answered the question that was asked. Obviously, I'm familiar with the TGP thread (and more). People's experiences with Phil vary. In my post, I wrote, "Another option that may be especially attractive for folks local to the Baltimore-DC area is Phil Jacoby ..." That's because, unlike many luthiers and techs who won't consider it, Phil will make an appointment with you to work on your guitar while you wait so you can take it home with you immediately thereafter. I personally find this extremely convenient as I live in Northern VA and it's 70 miles each way to Phil's shop. Otherwise, upon fair consideration of the prior two guys' comments, I'll amend my response to say that I can't at this time recommend leaving your guitar with Phil for work. If you want to ship it to be wired, I agree with joethepainter's recommendation: Brian (milobender).
brbadg, joethepainter liked this