#36220  by tigerstrat

first part: E7b5

#36221  by myoung6923

I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E.

I've done this many different ways - but my favorite is to go back to the E for 8 measures then back to the F#m 4 measure - back to E 8 measures - then to Abm for 4 measures with nice tight punches (good spot for bass bombs) then come out of this into the "flight of the seabird" part.

Divine!

#36230  by strumminsix

There are 3 jams by my count:
#1 - E with hints modulation including: Es4, C#m, F#m
#2 - acoustic jam E7b5
#3 - 80s: E then E rock with F#, hold F#, 2nd time around Abm

#36250  by Tennessee Jedi

Cool- cant wait to try some of them suggestions out...
Cassidys gotta be one of my favorites....
I usually just flub around in E till the flight of the seabirds.... :cool:

#36258  by pappypgh

Well, I can tell you that is most definitely (the 80s version, now) NOT plain ol' E. I used to think it was. My keyboardist, MTTOURPRO, showed me how I was incorrect. Play in straight E along w/ Without A Net. You will find many instances where it just doesn't fit. I THINK (and I'm still trying to get used to it) that it's Esus4(add9). SO, on guitar, that's more easily translated into F#m7 with an E in the bass. NOW, listen to Garcia - the mfer adds a F note in there to make it spacey!! So, you can really run a funky scale in F#m7 (make sure not to lead with the F# note, as it's really over an E bass), but adding that F in there is pretty cool! OR, you can run an Esus4 scale with both an F and an F# in it!!! :?

As I said, I'm still working on making it sound right.

NOW, as was stated earlier, once you run through that big bulk of the jam, you shift up to an F# for 4 measures. THIS F# is a MAJOR scale....then you go back down to that F#m7/E jam for a while longer (we jam it out some more, not 4 measures, but not as long as the first bulk of the jam), then all shift back up to F# for 4 measures, then up to G# (again, in a MAJOR scale) for 4 measures, then the seabirds fly..... :cool:

#42494  by LazyLightnin

I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E
are you sure you dont mean a G#m, and not an F#m?

#42496  by pappypgh

LazyLightnin wrote:
I love doing the E jam for a good while - then on cue jump up to F#m for maybe 4 measures then back to the E
are you sure you dont mean a G#m, and not an F#m?
LL - it goes to F# first, then back down, then back up, THEN up to the G#
 #82242  by DrDreamPhD

We do E Lydian for most of it, which is a B major scale starting on E. The bass is rooted in E.

F# pentatonic, B pentatonic and E pentatonic all work in this part -- I like F# pentatonic for making chords out of.

On cue, we go into 8 bars of F#m then 8 bars of G#m into flight of the seabirds.

The cue is important, because you might view it as a shift from F# major to F# minor.
 #83119  by tcsned

Agreed mkaufman - for some added tension I'll flat the 7 in the E lydian - don't like to overuse those notes all bunched together but fun to play off.
 #107579  by Grateful Dad

mkaufman wrote:I play Eb5. We play the late 70's version so we don't modulate to other keys...

E Lydian is right.

mk
How do you voice your E with a flat fifth?

Cassidy jam fell off the tracks yesterday when we tried it. :x

E lydian is B major scale, C# dorian, D# phrygian, F# mixolydian, etc......so playing chords, chord tones, harmonized scales along these lines should sound good.

Without modulating (like the late 70's versions) may be a good way to bring the song along and when we get comfortable and add the modulations later.

Anyone else jam in E lydian?

Would really like to get this jam going right
 #107582  by Billbbill

Grateful Dad wrote:
mkaufman wrote:I play Eb5. We play the late 70's version so we don't modulate to other keys...

E Lydian is right.

mk
How do you voice your E with a flat fifth?

Cassidy jam fell off the tracks yesterday when we tried it. :x

E lydian is B major scale, C# dorian, D# phrygian, F# mixolydian, etc......so playing chords, chord tones, harmonized scales along these lines should sound good.

Without modulating (like the late 70's versions) may be a good way to bring the song along and when we get comfortable and add the modulations later.

Anyone else jam in E lydian?

Would really like to get this jam going right
Hey GD - well I do the jerry end of this but I do the chord thing at times and within the band and when solo acoustic

so a basic deal may be just back and forth in some kind of timing that suits you between the 5th and the b5th like this
Code: Select all
g--9--9--9--9--
d--9--8--9--8--
a--7--7--7--7--

All sorts of runs can be done just from here - like

g--9--9--9--9--add in --9------if you want etc.
d--9--8--6--8-----------11------
a--7--7--7--7------------------
constructing a chord line around that b5 just gives it a signature "cassidy" feel I'd say