name, city, instrument, years of playing, current band, gear
 #151797  by hieronymous7

Hi everybody, I've come across this forum several times over the years, lots of deep information, and I finally registered!

My name is Harry. I currently live in Oakland, CA, but spent a fair amount of my life around Boston. I spent my teenage years in Tokyo, so didn't really encounter the Dead until I moved to Worcester in '88 to go to Clark University. It was a golden era of music - I got to see bands like Phish, Widespread Panic, Col. Bruce Hampton & the Aquarium Rescue Unit, etc. on tiny stages like the Clark Pub. I was a co-founding member of Jiggle the Handle in 1989 and played with them until '95 when I left the band to move out to Berkeley, CA to study Buddhism. I kind of quit playing at that point, but came back to it full force in 2002 when I began recording my own music as hieronymous.

Phish felt like "my band" - I liked them way more than the Dead, who I only saw 3 times - Albany around '91 (?), and the Boston Garden in about '93 & '94. It's funny though, I came to appreciate the Dead much more - I actually became disillusioned with Phish starting around '94, and stopped listening to them until around 2008 - though now I like them again! Living here in the Bay Area I've been fortunate to see one of the Levi's Stadium shows last year, as well as Phil & Friends at Terrapin Crossroads a couple of times.

I play bass guitar, you can hear my music here - https://soundcloud.com/hieronymous-seven - I am definitely influenced by the Dead, but also other improvisational artists like Miles Davis and Can. I also love progressive rock, electronic music, heavy metal, the Beatles - the list goes on and on. I don't play in a band right now, but love playing and listening to music.

A big connection for me here is Alembic - I own two, as well as several instruments with Alembic electronics. I am definitely more into Phil Lesh than Jack Casady. I look forward to learning a lot and helping when I can!
 #151825  by hieronymous7

Thanks for the welcome!

I came at the Dead through the proggier side - Slipknot!, King Solomon's Marbles, the 7/4 jam in early-'70s Eyes of the World - grew to appreciate other aspects - the past year or so have started learning to get into the Pigpen stuff, but my favorite early song right now is Caution (Do Not Stop On Tracks) - never really delved into late-'60s stuff much except maybe The Eleven, but serendipitously realized that a jam Phil had done at TXR was that track when I heard it on the Grateful Dead Movie Soundtrack - led to search through my collection for other versions - that is also a criteria to move me towards considering purchasing a Dick's Picks or other release if that track is on it...

Jiggle the Handle definitely continued on without me, though they eventually shortened the name to Jiggle. I played a show with them in the early 2000s after they had broken up, they still play now and again. The guitarist/vocalist, Gary Backstrom, was and is amazing!
 #152005  by hieronymous7

Was getting ready to do a blog post and found this one from a while back explaining the background of my current musical project, hieronymous:

https://hieronymousseven.wordpress.com/ ... eronymous/

Thought I would share a shot of my avatar pic - I had to make it black and white and really low resolution to be able to upload it as my avatar here! It's the Alembic logo from my 1975 doubleneck...