#68402  by pickincolours

I currently play a gibson les paul studio, and I am in a grateful dead cover band and would like to get some feedback. Does anyone feel that a Fender Stratocaster would be a better guitar to play jerry garcia esq music? I'm considering trading the lp studio for a nice strat. what do yall think?
 #68403  by jackr

IMHO I would keep the LP instead of going to a single coil strat. I guarantee you one thing though, no matter what guitar Jerrry is playing you will know it is him. We've seen him play Gibsons and Fenders. So I dont really think changing out guitars would be your answer.
 #68405  by NashvilleMike

I have a classic strat and I'm building an SG. This is why we each need 8-10 guitars!
 #68411  by Tennessee Jedi

pickincolours wrote:I currently play a gibson les paul studio, and I am in a grateful dead cover band and would like to get some feedback. Does anyone feel that a Fender Stratocaster would be a better guitar to play jerry garcia esq music? I'm considering trading the lp studio for a nice strat. what do yall think?
I cant say it is better but it will be different thats for sure. More different tones from a Strat I think ...
Jerry digs a Strat - Europe ' 72 here you go ....
If you aren't worried about value I say do it you only live once
:D
 #68428  by BuddhaG

These two guitars are really quite different.

LP is set neck, dual humbucker. Strat is bolt-on neck, 3 single coil. The neck on the LP is tremendously chunky compared to the thin Strat neck.

I myself own an Epi LP but have played my friends Stratocasters quite often and here's what I've noticed:

Strat is easier to play because of the neck.
You can get a more biting, precise sound from the Strat.
LP will give you a fuller, more bell-like sound (check Garcia circa '68).

I don't think I could just pick one or the other... they are totally different.

I only wish my LP was a double cutaway so that I could play above the 15th fret with ease (I have pretty short fingers).
 #68429  by jackr

I dont think I agree that the strat is easier to play because of the neck. Some LPs have thinner necks like a 1960 and some strats have fatter necks, like an SRV Strat.

But remember that an LP is a 24.75" scale length as opposed to a strat with a 25.5" scale length. That will give an lp a "looser" feel.

I wouldnt give up my lp or my strat.
 #68455  by deadguise

I have a friend who traded his LP for a (Japanese) Strat and I think that was the dumbest thing he ever did. The neck shape varies with either make, so one playing easier than the other is relative. Generally I have found that LPs usually play "like butter" if they're set up right while with a Strat, you have to "work it"; which can be a good thing because I feel they can be more expressive. I think the Strat will fit the Country & Folk styles of the Dead more because of the "twang". Keep the Paul and save for a Strat.
 #77343  by Pete B.

I would say add a Strat to your collection.
They are both classic.
If it has to be one or the other, for a Dead cover band I would go with a Strat.
 #77385  by strumminsix

This:
NashvilleMike wrote:I have a classic strat and I'm building an SG. This is why we each need 8-10 guitars!
and that:
Pete B. wrote:I would say add a Strat to your collection.
They are both classic.
If it has to be one or the other, for a Dead cover band I would go with a Strat.