#145293  by oceanbear11

I have an accidental habit of liking musicians with weird voices (but good). Bob Dylan, Pavlov's Dog. . .and I love Neil Young, especially with Crazy Horse. In fact, I was named after Neil Young; in some circles I'm even known as Young Neil.
Other than them, I am a big fan of Rory Gallagher. I also enjoy the Allman Brothers, Mott the Hoople, and Steppenwolf. I like the Byrds, Tom Petty, and the Stones as well. Also worth mentioning is a father-and-son group from Milwaukee called the Spanic Boys.
 #148101  by August WR West77

There are many great bands that have come and gone and rearranged the cohesive melding sound they are used to when a member has passed. Most bands never recover others do well. I have come to listen and know bout musicians I never would have known about if not for the way the Dead covered original artists. Its because of Jerry especially and Bobby as well. And most definitely "pigpen". I have come to like bluegrass and great musical conduits that produced Divine songs and play unlike anyone. Unique musicians, one of a kind. Like...Bob Dylan, Bonnie Dobson, Chuck Berry James Brown John Lee Hooker, muddy waters B.B. King, Paul Butterfield band, Beatles, Who, CCR, (I have a show with Folgerty playing with the Dead. Very hip sound. Above all The Grateful Dead are unique, encouraged taping their shows, the best at improvisational flow of musical sound waves which literally could build on the energy of the band as well as the energy of the venue, and most of all the energy that every Dead Head was putting out. I have seen shows with Jerry (not many but all were beyond explanation). I saw Jerry do the best version of Days Between as well as Deal and ChinaRider all at my very first show. Of all the great bands from across the pond. NO OTHER BAND SAYS 100% AMERICAN LIKE YE' OLE GRATEFUL DEAD
 #155385  by jhart

Pat Methany Group

Met him after the show in Oakland and asked him "what was the most irritating thing a fan has said to him" He said " telling me you clean your house to my music and use it for background music"

The bass player and drummer and pianist of this band do such intriquite music and much like the Dead, take you on such a journey into your soul. I've gotten choked up on occasston - allowing the message to rise up from the music, with the layers of song inter-weaving. The band is always so committed to plowing thru the advanced musical combinations as they start with the hook and after 15 minutes of cosmic jazz bliss you've experienced the best jazz on the planet.

First post here - glad I found you guys.

Jerry Hart
 #162843  by Jeff S

August WR West77 wrote: Wed Jul 29, 2015 5:21 am There are many great bands that have come and gone and rearranged the cohesive melding sound they are used to when a member has passed. Most bands never recover others do well. I have come to listen and know bout musicians I never would have known about if not for the way the Dead covered original artists. Its because of Jerry especially and Bobby as well. And most definitely "pigpen". I have come to like bluegrass and great musical conduits that produced Divine songs and play unlike anyone. Unique musicians, one of a kind. Like...Bob Dylan, Bonnie Dobson, Chuck Berry James Brown John Lee Hooker, muddy waters B.B. King, Paul Butterfield band, Beatles, Who, CCR, (I have a show with Folgerty playing with the Dead. Very hip sound. Above all The Grateful Dead are unique, encouraged taping their shows, the best at improvisational flow of musical sound waves which literally could build on the energy of the band as well as the energy of the venue, and most of all the energy that every Dead Head was putting out. I have seen shows with Jerry (not many but all were beyond explanation). I saw Jerry do the best version of Days Between as well as Deal and ChinaRider all at my very first show. Of all the great bands from across the pond. NO OTHER BAND SAYS 100% AMERICAN LIKE YE' OLE GRATEFUL DEAD
Beyond description you mean? Ha ha.
 #162848  by Jon S.

For "some of your other fav bands," the OP specified "any genre" so here goes.

If you go by live shows attended, the Dead are #1 for me, but Frank Zappa and Hot Tuna (acoustic and electric) follow closely tied for #2 (damn, I miss FZ).

The Beatles, Stones, U2, and Clapton in all of his incarnations are always favs of mine.

Love the Allman Brothers Bands (I was influenced in my soloing by Dickey Betts even before Jerry - I owe them both more than words can tell).

Steve Kimock's playing inspires me like few others.

I've always dug prog - Rush, ELP, and Yes being top shelf.

There are so many more but to conclude with just a few relatively more recent musicians and bands, if you haven't caught these live yet, do it!

- String Cheese Incident
- Infamous Stringdusters
- John Mayer (with his own band)

Re:

#162855  by pomaikai

oconnors_35 wrote: Tue Sep 02, 2008 10:18 am The New Orleans Radiators and The Iguanas. Also lately I've been listening to the blues alot, and been digging on Eric Lindell.... soulful funky blues.

SeanO
Eric's cool, he used to sing for one of my bands. My name's Erik too, and our drummer was named Eric, we had 3 Eric/ks in a 4 piece band!
 #162856  by pomaikai

Been listening to a lot of Earthless lately, more of a heavy band but very jam based and amazing. I actually learned about them because I saw a video of Bob Weir sitting in with Green Leaf Rustlers doing West LA Fadeaway on youtube and was wondering who the other guitarist was that was sitting in. Turns out it was Isaiah Mitchell from Earthless.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VtdwxbsWJ6Y