#63428  by NashvilleMike

OK I'll ante up. Aside from the obvious (Dyland, Beatles, Led, Clapton etc...) I listen to:

Freddie King
Muddy Waters
Brian Setzer (guitar god!)
Cheap Trick (my guilty pleasure)
Chuck Berry
Dean Martin
Kinks
The Who
Paul Simon
Tom Petty
Sam and Dave
The Ventures

But to be perfectly honest I listen to Grateful Dead about 90% of the time. My ipod has 8100 songs-about 4500 are Dead. I just can't help myself. :D
 #63521  by Pete B.

As of last Sat night I am a huge Fareed Haque fan!
This guys concert was great! I sat about 5ft right in front of him and he ripped incredible guitar solo's all over the map for like 3 hours... while sitting legs-across-apple-sauce on a persian rug!... along with a rippin' Sitar player and Tabla player (fretless acoustic bass, keys, and drums, too). Cool.
:cool:

Check out his free lessons online:
http://www.fareed.com/freelessons.html

#63530  by Rusty the Scoob

Off the top of my head...

Phish
P-Funk
Coltrane
Floyd
Yes
Radiohead
Zeppelin
Beatles
Miles
The Who
Herbie
Tool
Hendrix (especially with Billy Cox)
Wayne Shorter
Rush (in small doses)
 #63581  by ian

Here are a few of my favs
The Beatles
Dylan
Zappa
Tom Waits
The Velvet Underground
Lou Reed
Miles
Monk
Elvis Costello
Patti Smith
the Flaming Lips
Nirvana
Pearl Jam
The Talking Heads

i could go on
 #63613  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:As of last Sat night I am a huge Fareed Haque fan!
Pete, just now? He blew my mind 17 years ago opening for Jorma at Avalon Nightclub Chicago. So glad you made it! I heard their OCF set the radio a week ago. Great stuff but, let's hope there is still more to come from Garaj Mahal... !
 #63617  by Pete B.

tigerstrat wrote:
Pete, just now? He blew my mind 17 years ago opening for Jorma at Avalon Nightclub Chicago. So glad you made it! I heard their OCF set the radio a week ago. Great stuff but, let's hope there is still more to come from Garaj Mahal... !
Yup. fwiw, I've only been interested in lead guitar players besides Dead/Allmans/etc. stuff for a couple years at most. Before that I was on a pretty serious Pedal Steel only jag.
 #63626  by tigerstrat

Pete B. wrote:
tigerstrat wrote:
Yup. fwiw, I've only been interested in lead guitar players besides Dead/Allmans/etc. stuff for a couple years at most. Before that I was on a pretty serious Pedal Steel only jag.
And it shows in your P/S chops! fwiw here is some random footage from this year's Fair where he performed on Sunday: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yIq22_KaTpk

<edit> whoa! the VW bus right at the beginning with the trippy blue paint job and the hard sleeper top is my neighbor about a half block down!
 #66422  by keirweir

Obvious bands like all GD related JGB, Ratdog ect...

Pink Floyd, Meddle, Dark Side, Animals, Ummagumma but especially Meddle
SRV
Albert King
Simon and Garfunkle
Phish
Martin Medeski and wood ( can't get enough of that organ sound
Steve Kimock ( All bands) he is my favorit
 #118226  by NorthboundRain

Bay Area Psychedelia:
Quicksilver Messenger Service, Country Joe & the Fish, Jefferson Airplane / (early) Starship, It's A Beautiful Day, Santana, PERRO, anything with Mike Bloomfield

Classic British Psychedelia:
The Beatles, Cream, The Who, Pink Floyd, Jimi Hendrix Experience?

Motown:
The Temptations, Marvin Gaye, The Four Tops, Stevie Wonder, The Funk Brothers

Misc. Classic Rock:
Bob Dylan, The Allman Brothers, CSNY,

Guilty Pleasure:
Iron Maiden

90's H.O.R.D.E:
Blues Traveler, The Black Crowes, God Street Wine, Wilco

More Recent:
Gomez, Elliot Smith,

North Indian Classical:
Ali Akbar Khan, Nikhil Bannerjee, Villayat Khan

But for the past ten years or so I mostly just listen to the Dead and Ali Akbar Khan.
 #118256  by TI4-1009

I saw Ali Akbar Kahn in Rochester (NY)- late 60's? Allah Rakah on tabla!

I like your list- lots of overlap with what would be my list (except for the Iron Maiden :lol: ).
 #118258  by mgbills

Beatles, J, Airplane, Dylan, Neil Young, Led Zep, Pink Floyd, Cream, Hendrix, EC...all the rock greats have passed my path over the years, but these endure. Don't care if I ever hear Skynard again, or most of the 2nd wave & hair bands. Too many years listening to crap on the R&R station. Allman's have almost made it into the "Skip" category. Always get the same stuff...for 25 years.

Gillian Welsh & David Rawlings, The Pogues, Stringcheese, Medeski Martin &Wood, Miles Davis, Brubeck, Sinatra, Queen (Nobody sings like Freddie), Most blues, Some jazz (as long as it doesn't lose me), The Band, Van Morrison, The Chieftains, Greg Brown, Tony Rice, Steve Earle, Darrell Scott, O.C.M.S., Jethro Tull, ...more.