When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #158492  by tcsned

Dang! What a shitty day yesterday was. My idiotic teenage me thought Tom Petty was too "New Wave" so I never really gave his music the time of day. It wasn't until I saw him at RFK with The Dead and Dylan that I really gained an appropriate appreciation for his music. He was easily the best band that day. I've been a huge fan since. Mike Campbell is also on helluva guitar player. I'm glad I got to see him a handful of times ever the years.

Happy trails, Tom Petty :cry:

#158493  by HeadSpace

tcsned wrote: It wasn't until I saw him at RFK with The Dead and Dylan that I really gained an appropriate appreciation for his music.
Same here. Hotter than hell (temperature-wise), but great shows nonetheless. RIP, Mr. Petty.
 #158495  by Jon S.

tcsned wrote:It wasn't until I saw him at RFK with The Dead and Dylan that I really gained an appropriate appreciation for his music.
Am I accurately remembering how freaking hot it was at that show?!

I agree - sad to say goodbye to Petty.
 #158498  by mgbills

I remember that whole tour being hot (temp) in the east.

Could've been my temperament at the time, but I think the high points of Dylan & The Dead were rather limited. I remember really long breaks between bands. I got pretty great at hacky-sac on that tour. TP being great (only was in stadium for a couple and Shakedownering for the rest). Hot as F*&^%. Bob D. being wasted and grumpy (or grumpy & wasted) and often unintelligible for his sets. There were some high points...I remember Jerry on pedal steel on something or another.

As stated...I think I was going through a "why am I here" phase. But I still loves me some Hacky-Sac. Played a couple weeks ago at a crab feed/birthday party. Somebody said "I think it's been a generation since I played Sac." And they were right.

We should all get together and have a vast RuKind Hac circle. Not even one person can say "Sorry"! And no one will be a showboating Sac hog. And we'll toast TP & Jerr & Bob for that matter.

Tom...just part of being young in the '80's.
 #158502  by tcsned

I believe the stadium thermometer was 95 degrees and the humidity wasn't far behind. Dylan wasn't awesome at this show, neither was the Dead. Garcia went into that coma only a few days after RFK. We were joking at the time about that Terrapin they did calling it "Terrible Station". Petty stood out at that show. I realized there how cool he and his band were and was hooked every since.

I'm down for a hack game, my knees may sound like rice krispies now :-)
 #158506  by HeadSpace

One kind of wacky highlight from the Dead that I recall from those shows was Bobby introducing the band during Satisfaction (he had some corny rhyming improv thing going). Then Jerry, very seldom heard from on stage at this point, in turn introduced Bob. Something like "Ladies and Gentlemen, one of my favorite people in the whole wide world...Mr. Bob Weir!" Anyway, just a little something unusual.