When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #146421  by Jimaroe

Seems to me, this topic has been addressed on an earlier thread. My gut reaction when learning that Mayer was into the Dead was a kinda snarky, "now I can attend a show with my daughters" reaction. I tell you what, my attitude has changed. Youtube his take on Althea that he played at Red Rocks a couple years ago. Damn good in my opinion. Watching him interview Weir as the late show host, the guy's funny and to me, seems to have a genuine love and admiration for the music. More power to him.
 #146422  by mgbills

Anything that moves any part of the music industry away from the formulaic horse-shit it has served to the masses for 20+ years is just-alright in my book. If a few kids get to understand and enjoy live music and improvisation...so much the better.

Just another old-fart opinion.
Peace
M
 #146425  by PaulJay

I'm not saying the guy isn't talented. But it seems to be a big slap in the face to the guys that payed there dues for 30 years learning and playing this music. I can accept Trey because he's loved the dead for years. But even picking him to play guitar in the fare thee well shows could be just a way to guarantee sold out tickets. And having Mayer play, if it is true would open up even a bigger market to his fans. After all who ever heard of Jeff Mattson, except us.
 #146435  by joethepainter

I love this song! :-)

Also, here's a paraphrased quote of my post in another Mayer thread from this forum, commenting on his FOTD cover...

"I watched the vid with eyes open, no stars in them, and I liked it. Unique take on the solo section, with the band cycling thru the verse, with no resolution to the chorus until the end of the song. Nice take. Also, I couldn't give a rat's ass about his supposedly sordid personal life. Furthermore, whatever decisions he's made, business or otherwise, seems to have paid off for him, regardless of the motives behind them. He's a musician making a living doing what he loves to do. What's wrong with that? Last time I checked, this is an acceptable, and even encouraged, way of living here in the good ol' U. S. of A."

I still feel this way. They come around my neck of the woods, I'll check 'em out! :cool: