When it doesn't fit anywhere else
 #130091  by joethepainter

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I want to hear him play a Dead Tune, too - then we see what he has " learned " from Jerry
:-)
 #130093  by strumminsix

That's a great video, Mr. Painter!

I hear a good amount of Jerry and a bit o' Bobby!

That video actually makes me appreciate him more. He is really incorporating and accompanying.

He's louder at times then I'd like (not his fault) but If you listen to his phrasing he's giving plenty of simply riffs and space for others to play with and around.
 #130096  by joethepainter

strumminsix wrote:That's a great video, Mr. Painter!

I hear a good amount of Jerry and a bit o' Bobby!

That video actually makes me appreciate him more. He is really incorporating and accompanying.

He's louder at times then I'd like (not his fault) but If you listen to his phrasing he's giving plenty of simply riffs and space for others to play with and around.
Yeah, ain't it, tho? The vibe is happenin, and Mayer's playing is very tasty! Good stuff, for sure :-)
 #130111  by easytoslip

strumminsix wrote:
His GDTRFB was tastey! Some nice crosss between Dead, standard blues, and his own LA / JM blues thing.
agreed! really liking the Queen of California as well. Admittedly, two of the songs that drew me to him were Daughters and Your Body is A Wonderland, then my dad shared a short live performance he had recorded at his house and enjoyed.

His music doesn't speak to me in the frame of over a hundred songs and thirty years' worth of live shows, but it definitely speaks to me. Handful of songs I've definitely taken to heart. In his liner notes on Continuum, he writes, "If you're reading this with an instrument in your lap--get to work, and deep in it. We all need you."
 #130113  by easytoslip

playing with Helm's band, nice. He gets a nice high end 'chink' and low end drawl out of his guitars that I like, the high end chink reminiscent of Bobby Weir's blue guitar with the lightning bolt f-holes.

Pickless playing For The Win
Last edited by easytoslip on Sat Jul 20, 2013 3:27 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #130141  by mgbills

...and just maybe there were 3% of those kids who found there butt moving independently of their usual selves. And those kids may ask themselves "What is this that's invaded my backside?"

Perhaps 3% of those 3% will find themselves on a Bus they never knew existed...and they will be all the happier for it.

Here's hoping!
Peace
M

p.s. - I dug the Mayer GDTRFB. Made me happy. :peas: Edit** And the brass in 10ACJed is awesome!**
 #130377  by caspersvapors

John playing the Alembic during I Want You

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yKHH7clOb4E

I cant wrap my head around this. Jerry and the Dead are my idol. Despite little or no musical connection to the Dead (til now), John was my contemporary idol until his doucheyness got in the way. And now the fact that hes playing the music and some of Garcias style I dont know how to deal with it. I need to talk to a therapist.

everything from 19:43 til about 20:03 is pure garcia playing, the scale run, the way he hes hanging on that A-shape chord and hammering onto the C-shape
 #130404  by playingdead

He busts out the envelope filter at the end of this tune, sounds really Jerry like. Listen from 4:45 or so.

I love that song but he sings the low harmony instead at the begnning. His voice is pretty shot, it's a wonder he's touring at all. He has some problems with his vocal cords.