#69119  by jeffm725

did this for a friend, figure I might as well share it here too.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/djHhMetwLDk&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/djHhMetwLDk&hl=en_US&fs=1&" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 #69161  by jeffm725

Gil and Jedi,
thanks! your comment made the post worth it, I was hoping just one person would get something from it, and the fact that someone like you guys (who I know are very good, experienced players) found it helpful in any way is definitely a positive.

To anyone who doesnt want to wade through 17 minutes of my imbecilic prattle, here is the actual contents of the video (so you can fast forward to the parts you are interested in):

The first 7 minutes are an explanation of Weirs use of Caged barre chords (the G shape and D shape specifically) as a setup for the way Weir voices the chords during verses in Lady with a Fan. Also delved into is an brief explanation in the use of "5" chords, within those Caged shapes, where Weir intentionally does not play the 3rd of chords to purposely leave the suggestion of major or minor tonality ambiguous.

The actual Weir intro aprpeggio demonstration starts at 7 minutes. The verse chords using the Caged shapes playing mostly "5" chords start around the 11:00-12:00 minute mark. The in between verse Weir Harmony hammer is demonstrated in the last 3 minutes of the video.
 #69162  by jdsmodulus

I also will chime in and say thanks for the vid! I always like to hear other folks ideas and thoughts about Bob or Jerry. I didn't mind the "explanation" part of the vid although it did go a little long for me (ADD)! As soon as it was over I went to my rig and tried what your were doing, it did help me for sure! I would like to see more! :cool:
 #69164  by jeffm725

Tennessee Jedi wrote:Hey man if you want to do more vids that would be cool !
:smile:
Was there something specific you are looking for? I am on vacation this week so if I was ever going to do anymore, this week would be the time.

Also, while I do play "jerry" in a band (and"Bobby" in another band), I would like to do videos based on Bobbys playing because there seems to be tons of Jerrys out there doing good videos, but nobody is really doing any Bobby stuff to any degree.

So if you have a request, throw it out there, I will see what I can do.
While I do know some of Bobbys tricks that I picked up along the years, I in no way whatsoever consider myself an expert in anything. The more I learn, the more I learn that there is more to learn.
 #69165  by Tennessee Jedi

jeffm725 wrote:
Tennessee Jedi wrote:Hey man if you want to do more vids that would be cool !
:smile:
Was there something specific you are looking for? I am on vacation this week so if I was ever going to do anymore, this week would be the time.

Also, while I do play "jerry" in a band (and"Bobby" in another band), I would like to do videos based on Bobbys playing because there seems to be tons of Jerrys out there doing good videos, but nobody is really doing any Bobby stuff to any degree.

So if you have a request, throw it out there, I will see what I can do.
While I do know some of Bobbys tricks that I picked up along the years, I in no way whatsoever consider myself an expert in anything. The more I learn, the more I learn that there is more to learn.
Well .....
right now I cant come up with a Jerry part for TMNS. The part where Weir is singing " C'mon children C'mon clap your hands " .....
maybe you could do a Bob vid for that part and throw on a Jerry part ?
I love Bobs chord progression from " They kept on dancin' " to the " C'mon and clap your hands " part.
But really anything you want to do is fine .... its great to get anything really !
Thanks
Happy T day
 #69166  by jeffm725

oOK I think I can help with that..............
 #69167  by Laytonco

Hey Jeff,
What helped me the most was seeing "other" voicings for Bobby Chords. You really could do sort of a Bobby overview like you did early in this first one, but maybe take it furthur. Then, you could do particular tunes. One recommendation for me would be Help>Slip. I have a pattern down that I think works well, but I have never been able to actually "see" what Bobby does. Over Halloween, I filled in for Rob Eaton for one of his side bands, and it turns out he was in town after all. He played a few tunes with us in Vail but let me take the majority of the shows. But what was best was sitting in the hotel room for a couple of hours passing the guitar back and forth. I felt like a sponge! I wish I had more time. I think everyone plays Bobby differently and I am not out to copy Bob. I'd rather be a muscian...on my own. BUT, I play in a Dead band and I owe it to my bandmembers and most importantly the fans to do it the best I can. So, I thrive on learning newer better ways to play. Thanks again for this. Keep em coming!

Peace,

Gil
 #69174  by jeffm725

Laytonco wrote:Hey Jeff,
What helped me the most was seeing "other" voicings for Bobby Chords. You really could do sort of a Bobby overview like you did early in this first one, but maybe take it furthur. Then, you could do particular tunes. One recommendation for me would be Help>Slip. I have a pattern down that I think works well, but I have never been able to actually "see" what Bobby does. Over Halloween, I filled in for Rob Eaton for one of his side bands, and it turns out he was in town after all. He played a few tunes with us in Vail but let me take the majority of the shows. But what was best was sitting in the hotel room for a couple of hours passing the guitar back and forth. I felt like a sponge! I wish I had more time. I think everyone plays Bobby differently and I am not out to copy Bob. I'd rather be a muscian...on my own. BUT, I play in a Dead band and I owe it to my bandmembers and most importantly the fans to do it the best I can. So, I thrive on learning newer better ways to play. Thanks again for this. Keep em coming!

Peace,

Gil
Gil,
I actually agree, I think the most helpful things are "style overiews" rather than particular song parts. I am trying to do a little of both, as you can see just in this thread you found the voicing overview the most helpful whereas jds found that to be the boring part!

I didnt (and dont) know how many of these I can do so I found it necessary to put that voicing overview at the beginning of Terrapin because it is so necessary for what came after.

However, I think you are a 100% right, in a perfect world it would be best to do separate general voicing and style overview and keep the songs as just the songs and refer to the style videos as needed.

As far as Mr. Eaton. You are very lucky! He has this stuff down better than anyone in the country, and I have done my fair share of ripping off from him. I am sure I could learn a bunch from you! Sitting together always was and always will be the best way to learn.
 #91098  by tiffcheese

thanks jeff, i like this lesson. cool to see it all broken down. while i don't have aspirations to become a bobby in a band, nor do i aspire to play these parts of this song, i always enjoy learning new things to do on a guitar. finally picked up a new computer w/sound and sweet speakers for home, so now i can make some speedier progress in regards to inspiration>practice>exhalation of my skills. i'm uber psyched over here