#6189  by jck_strw

So does anyone else listen to these guys? If not, you should definitely check them out. These guys are an amazing band. Primarily east-coast based, if they come through your area, check them out.

"Elko" is the name of their latest album. It's a live double album and gives a good sample of who they are.

#6190  by AugustWest

Railroad earth has pretty much ruled the last two years of my life. I love em! so much energy and great lyrics and fantastic good time jams.

#6245  by HOWEYMAN

Thanks for opening this forum.

I found out about these guys on Amazon.com, searching for music. I purchased the new double live disc "elko" without hearing one note of thier music.
I was not disappointed. I love it. Jamgrass with a little twist of jam rock thrown. I like every song on the set. with "Colorado" being my least favorite, even though I still groove to it (has a different feel then the rest of the cd). I will buy more of their stuff. Its kinda free flowing jamgrass, which is proably why I dig it so much.

#6249  by phreaker

I just saw them at Wakarusa yesterday. I liked Yonder Mountain better, and then I saw STS9, and liked them the best.

But hot damn. RRE is some fine bluegrass!

#6255  by HOWEYMAN

phreaker wrote:I just saw them at Wakarusa yesterday. I liked Yonder Mountain better, and then I saw STS9, and liked them the best.

But hot damn. RRE is some fine bluegrass!

I like Yonder mountain also. Very good stuff. But for me it was "missing something". RRE gives me that something. Wierd.

Who is STS9?

#6266  by steve

listening to some on archive right now....quality.

#6267  by phreaker

i know what that "something" is that your talking about, Howey. If you compare the two bands, esp.

yonder mountain is obviously a smaller band. less instruments. RRE switches instruments, and even adds some as the shows go on. two different styles of bluegrass, too. Yonder Mountain is basically dance dance dance. RRE is more about jamming and musical expansion. Not saying that Yonder can't jam good. its just different.

STS9 (Sound Tribe Sector 9...or just Sound Tribe to the fans) is like nothing else. It's a mix of jam, psychedelia, electronica, drums n bass, with some crazy guitar riffs thrown in. theres no vocals, but man...they put on a show.

#6276  by shakedown_04092

HOWEYMAN wrote:Thanks for opening this forum.

I found out about these guys on Amazon.com, searching for music. I purchased the new double live disc "elko" without hearing one note of thier music.
I was not disappointed. I love it. Jamgrass with a little twist of jam rock thrown. I like every song on the set. with "Colorado" being my least favorite, even though I still groove to it (has a different feel then the rest of the cd). I will buy more of their stuff. Its kinda free flowing jamgrass, which is proably why I dig it so much.
Thanks for posting this. As soon as I was done reading, I went to the archive to stream some of their stuff, and promptly went to their website to purchase the same double Live disc. Great stuff. We have a band here in Portland called the Jerks of Grass that play regularly at the Bramhall Pub on Thursday nights and they have this same kind of feel.

#10554  by confusions_prince

Without this thread, I never would have tried this band.

Thanks!

#10568  by Crazy 9.5 Fingers

Phreaker,

A couple of years back when I lived in NYC, a friend I was at audio engineering school with turned me on to STS9. He knew some of the guys in the band and told me I would not be dissapointed. He was right, they were amazing! Saw them at BB King's in NYC which is a pretty touristy joint located in the heart of Times Square. Usually they have tables set up all around the dance area but the got rid of them for the STS9 show and it basically turned into an indoor rave. Love that sound. Did u dig it?
 #14320  by Buddogger

RRE and DSO are currently my 2 favorite bands to experience live.

I would love to see them both at the same festival ... oh wait I did at the 2005 Gathering of the Vibes.
Man, that was great! I got turned onto Deep Banana Blackout that year too. "God made me funky".

Somebody mentioned Jerks of Grass in Portland? With a name like that I need to give them a listen 8)
 #14326  by shakedown_04092

Buddogger wrote:Somebody mentioned Jerks of Grass in Portland? With a name like that I need to give them a listen 8)
Do you live in Portland/Maine? If so, head down to The Bramhall Pub on Thursday nights, they've been a staple there for years and years. Good stuff, fun guys. More straight-up bluegrass "huddle-around-the-mic" stuff where the person who's soloing at the time steps up closer to be heard.

(only 2 more posts and I change my Rank!!!)

But on the RRE thread, as someone else already said, without this forum, I never would have found them, so thanks guys!

#14344  by JONZILLA

I consider STS9 on 4/20/06 in Nashville to be the most "on" show I've ever seen them play. I've seen them a handful of times but they were really smokin' (hence the date of show) that night. Amazing.