#147114  by oceanbear11

Hey all!

I have been thinking, I'd really like to get into tape trading, but I was born too late and wasn't able to actually tape any shows. If anyone had been thinking of liquidating some of their tapes, there's a teen in Albuquerque named Oceanbear who would love to buy them.

Not that I mean to put any pressure on. If nobody wants to part with their tapes, I can totally understand that. But if there is someone who was already looking to liquidate some, I'd be a willing outlet.

Not seeking any particular tapes, just whatever comes down the tube.

Thanks, all.

-Oceanbear
 #147137  by oceanbear11

flyingheelhook wrote:Funny how this brings back memories. Trading tapes, CD Vines, etc. These days you are better off joining a bitstreaming group

Check out etree.org and bt.etree.org. You'll need software but its all available free.
Okay, I'm probably real dumb to be saying this, but I haven't got the faintest idea what a bitstreaming group is. I'll check out those websites, though. I'd still like to get some tapes, though, to listen to in the car, which has a tape deck.

Sorry I'm not very tech-savvy. I think I belong somewhere in the '70s.

-Oceanbear
 #147205  by flyingheelhook

LOL! OK lets try again. First, you have software. I was using multiple things over time but currently use Vuze. You could try bittorrent or others though:

http://www.bittorrent.com/

Next you go to a website like http://etree.org/ and get software for converting the files to whatever format you want (MP3 for your iPOD, for example).

Then you go to a host site like http://bt.etree.org/ and find a show you like that has hosts and seeds. You download the host file using your torrent software and it starts downloading from all available hosts/seeds. All you really need to know about that is that the more hosts/seeds, the faster it is for you then if you went to a single source.

Once you download it, you convert it to whatever format you want (burn CDs, iPod whatever) and you are good to go. Most of the time they are in loss-less format (higher quality than MP3) so you can burn really good CDs if you want.

If you give it a try let me know and I will help you out. Its been so long since I set everything up its really simple to me but I can understand it might seem intimidating if you haven't tried it.
 #148104  by August WR West77

I'm not tech-savvy at all. I have a pretty large collection of cassettes and CDs. I would be willing to send you some shows. It is certainly one of a kind from band to fan. It's what makes this music so special to true heads! To see younger generations keeping the good times rolling and learning and experiencing for the first time certain songs or shows that become their favorite or to hear the Dead unlike any other band. But I am happy to pass on shows that I loved listening to and learning about what great music really is. Just send me a message and we can arrange something in terms of a sending live shows from any and all years. These are priceless assets for someone like me but I have some cassettes that are on CD and I'd be happy to help. Hipsters tripsters real cool chicksters EVERYBODY'S DOIN THAT RAG.