#114390  by mukies88

Anyone attend this?

I remember a few things about this show:

I'd never seen a crazier lot than this, people passed out, numurous nitrous tanks and some wonderful people that I met. I stayed in Burington, VT at a hotel that paid off when I made reservations the day the show was announced (saved $150, per night); on top of that, I didn't know it was the hometown of Phish at the time. I remember LOTS of people and didn't realize that over 100,000 plus attended (with gate crashing). I loved the paraglider during the first set and that Jerry looked like a ghost. I knew he wouldn't be around for much longer.

Dylan was GREAT! First time seeing him and even more proud because he's MN boy (I student taught with a teacher from Hibbing, MN and he went to school with him; said the last time he saw him was dropping Dylan off at the U of MN and asking what time he wanted to head back, Dylan said "I'm not, I'm going to New York". I headed out during "Drumz" to beat the traffic and I'm glad I did, I heard many people didn't get out of the lot until 6-7 AM the next day. Great experience!

Chris
 #114405  by gr8fullfred

I was at both Highgate shows. The first one was pretty big, but pretty mellow. Not much vending going on, actually shortage of food vendors at the first show.(1994)

The second show was a bit different. After the first show, everyone went home and told their buddies how much fun it was. The second show was (1995) fully Grateful Dead parking lot circus, many many people, full festival situation, massive vending. The Deadbeats of New Paltz played in the parking lot.

Neither show was all that great, but the scene was awesome.

17 years ago.................
 #114424  by WildEye

Never seen so many people at a show - Dylan was awesome. Don't remember a lot after that...
 #114498  by Emoto

I was at both Highgate shows. There were a few nice musical moments here and there, but it was pretty clear that the slide downhill was continuing. Made me sad. The 95 Highgate show was the last time I saw Jerry.
 #114505  by keirweir

I was at Highgate 95 and Highgate 2006 (when I got my Siberian Husky from a breeder down the street from the venue-field).

I was young (around 16) and clueless. I had just gotten into the Dead about a year prior so I didn’t really know all of the songs but knew some. I had no idea about tone or which guitar Jerry had. I was clueless!

Highlights for me would have to be a nice Ramble on Rose and a nice Black Throated wind. I specifically remember the crowd going nuts during Ramble on because of a guy in one of those flying parachutes (I can't think of the name of those things) flying all over the place. Vince was too loud and the stage looked like a giant space ship (I was not tweaking either). I also remember some Indian chant that went down with Dylan.

I also remember running out of money about 5 minutes after arriving which made for a long hungry weekend.
 #114510  by vwjodyme

I was also at both ('94 being my first GD show at 16 yrs old). I don't remember too much about the shows, they both kind of blend together for me. I remember there were a ton of people there...i think they said it was the biggest city in VT at the time. Some people were looting the only convenience store. The parking lots were awesome! Everyone just camped out in them, bon fires with drum circles, guitar jams, and deep conversations lasted all night! Met a lot of cool people there that became tour buddies for the next few years.
 #134205  by JamGuy

Having also been at both shows, I do remember '94 being the stronger of the two shows… I routinely listen to the '94 show, Jack Straw is pretty darn good as well as SOTM, those are the two standouts for me. The jam at towards the end of Jack Straw is worth a listen. New Speedway was great to see albeit not the best performance ever. While not an amazing show, I think it's pretty good… '95 was not so hot but hey, it was better than a stick in the eye. I'd have rather seen a bad Dead show than no show at all. I do remember Dylan being good… all in all, it was a fun time.

I still remember turning around to leave after the '95 show and seeing what seemed like an endless sea of people… I was up pretty close. There were a lot of people there… bordering on too many.