Sell and buy at your own risk...
 #154583  by strumminsix

Good luck! they're getting harder and harder to find. IMO, you gotta REALLY REALLY love those couple of years he used it.

Had one for a year or so but it didn't get enough usage for me to bond with it...
 #154615  by strumminsix

The preamp is just one link in the chain:
- player dynamics
- guitar (pickups, strings, wood, fret)
- effects
- preamp
- poweamp
- speakers

IIRC at that time he had Ibanez Musicians, IVP preamp, UE400 & UE405, IVP preamp, Gozilla poweramp, EV speakers

You can nail down all those and still not nail it cuz y'all are different people. Like Warren saying he sounded like shit playing through Jerry's rig.

IMO, the best preamp going these days is the Sarno SMS. Sure, most will say it's a Jerry preamp but at the end of the day it's a souped up Fender blackface preamp. From there mate up with a poweramp. Bobby has been big into the Mesas, go that route. For speakers EV, JBLs, Tone Tubbies. I think that's a much better route than an IVP and Godzilla.
 #154641  by gratefulfork

StrumminSIx, have you ever tried the Mesa Studio Preamp? I saw it in Rob Eaton's rig the other night at DSO and love his tone. Thanks for all your help
 #154673  by strumminsix

gratefulfork wrote:StrumminSIx, have you ever tried the Mesa Studio Preamp? I saw it in Rob Eaton's rig the other night at DSO and love his tone. Thanks for all your help
Yes. It's a great amp! I've owned: IVP, Mesa Studio, Mesa 22, Mesa Recording Recto, Soldano, and most recently Sarno SMS. Only the SMS is still in my basement.
 #154679  by strumminsix

mkaufman wrote:90% of Weir's tone is in his hands.

ace
I agree, MK. That's why I wrote that above too. Honestly, I ranked it too but didn't want to detract from some else's thread about my opinions on how.
 #158488  by AnhedonicShellac

Hey are you still selling that ivp? I've been looking for a bit without much luck. Thanks!

Also, I agree that a lot of his sound comes from his own style of playing, and the fact he's been paying a long time.