Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #39871  by spilly

so I was thinking,'
I've been teaching guitar on and off for a while now. I don't charge my students, I mearly insist that they practice hard and not waist my time or theirs. One of the main things I teach my students is how to jam, and the thought process behind it all.
So I was thinking, if you newer players out there are interested, we could start doing vidio lessons on "how to boogie" I could show you some idea's and thought process behind them, while leaving tabs and the like in the forum below. After which you guys can ask questions and all that stuff. the benifit of doing virtual guitar lessons is that the other experienced musicians on the site can also add video's or explanations of their take on whatever idea we're working on at the time.
I do not like to waste my time though, so please let me know if you guys are interested, if nobody cares there's no reason to make a video, so let me know what you guys think (and what your interested in learning)

#39872  by Tennessee Jedi

Yeah thats really cool...
I would totally be into checking out what vids you do.
Will you be doing any lessons for people who have been playing awhile?
Diminished scale use and bending are some areas I am looking to improve in.
Thanks for putting that out there - :smile: :smile: :smile:

#39876  by spilly

yeah, I can do advanced lessons also. The thing is, I have to use my buddy's webcam, so before I go to his house I'd really like people to weigh in on where would be a good place to start. I think advanced bending techniques (bending into chords and such) would be good for the more experienced guys, but I'm unsure on where to start for beginners. So everyone let me know what it is you'd like to do and we can draw up a lesson plan from there.

#39878  by Tennessee Jedi

Arpeggios could be cool.
Players of all ages should know them up and down the neck.
Examples could be from various Dead Tunes.
Would check out whatever you do regardless.
Like yer go get 'em attitude.
I keep hoping that one of these guys with the bands will post some full band backing tracks to jam to.
:smile: :smile: :smile:

#39879  by strumminsix

Might I suggest building lessons?

Examples:

1 chord soloing over say the E jam in Cassidy
2 chord soloing over say Fire on the Mountain
3 chord soloing over maybe Franklin's Tower

Etc...

#39923  by 4winds

This would be great!
You've got me so excited that I am ready for this to start now.

#39927  by Pete B.

Being from a Commander Cody-esque Boogie backgroud, off the top of my head I'm thinking of Evangaline as a Boogie tune, ala Jerry/JGB.
What tunes or styles of playing do you guys hear as being Boogie, GD or otherwise JamBand tunes?

Also, any digital camera that has movie mode will work.
I've had a good time making some YT vids, but yeah, it takes alot of time.
Funn Stuff though!
~pb

#39956  by krzykat

whoo hoo! this would be great man.

#39959  by alcorelectric

I think the lead over chords is a good point.
Not only examples but theory, as this would help people understand the relationship of scales to chords.
I think it is a great service youre providing, and wish this opportunity was available a hundred years ago when I was a kid
T

#39968  by jck_strw

I'd definitely be into some of these lessons spilly. I can play guitar, but I can't jam for shit. I'd sign up for lesson A, beginner 1, subsection n00b lesson and go from there. And I promise not to waste your time. :)

Incidentally, I know that there are a ton of people that check out this site who don't have forum accounts. Sometimes when I check the admin section, it will show who's reading the forums. Usually there's a bunch of regulars, etc., but usually there are a ton of 'Guest' users who are just checking out videos, tabs, what have you. I'm sure there's lots of beginners there that would also appreciate the basics as well.
 #39994  by NJRipple

As a beginner I would love to see some of the following:

1 chord soloing over say the E jam in Cassidy
2 chord soloing over say Fire on the Mountain
3 chord soloing over maybe Franklin's Tower

It appears that most of the folks posting here are way more advanced than beginner status so anyone that cares to post sone teaching tools gets a thumbs up from me.

#40005  by paulee

this would be fabulous...

im onboard..

this would be great!! :cool:

#40022  by spilly

I spoke to my buddy, and he said that using his webcam is no problem, so were all good to go. I'm in the studio alot this week, so I'm not sure how much free time I'll have, but with any luck I should have the first lesson within a few days.

#40027  by spilly

so I think I'll start two different series. The first on building solo's and theory off different structures, we'll start with a simple one chord jam and then work from there.
The second will be more advanced and mainly deal in techniques. We'll do alot of right handed stuff, Including fingerpicking styles and muting (related to slidebar) as well as advanced bending techniques, maybe some sweep-picking, bending bends (wammy bar stuff). you know,that kind of thing.