Musical Theory Abound!!!
 #124163  by austinhumphrey

hey all, been a little while since i've been on here. done a lot guitar growin and explorin on my own, but i found one thing i would like to have some input on. i've been getting into the country dead, grisman/garcia, nrps, along with those jerry and sara garcia tunes. ive been getting into them even more than usual lately :lol: im not sure what im asking, i guess if you all have any tips , tricks, nuggets of knowledge or other inspirations in this style of music; this is a pretty open disussion i guess. i have been having a little trouble getting the rhythm locked down along with all those other little licks/accents that make country/bluegrass so awesome. love to hear back , thanks!
-austin
 #124165  by Poor Peter

Focus on your major/minor pentatonics, and arpeggios. Pay close attention to how they fit inside the chord shape. Thats the best advice i could give you. I'm sure others will chime in.
 #133270  by AlabamaDidn'tGetAway

I suggest going back to the source. Thats what Jerry and those Cali Bluegrasers did, in order to play that style with the necc feel and sensitivity.
Spend some quality time with Monroe, the Stanley Bros, Flatt & Scruggs, Reno & Smiley, and Jimmy Martin.
Especially Jimmy Martin for the Rhythm guitar.
Then graduate to some of these
Old and In the Way, of course
Here are some more gooduns

I assume you are playing guitar. If so, the right rhythm is crucial.
The mistake most rockers make is to much busy strummin goin on.
SIMPLIFY and PLAY THE BASS NOTES right on top of the beat.
 #133280  by TI4-1009

Consider the Cumberland lesson from

http://www.gratefulguitarlessons.com/
 #133281  by jeffm725

One of the most underrated guitarists of all time is Robbie Hoddinott of Kingfish mid-70's (when weir was in the band) tone to die for and had country chops galore. Get your hands on all you can of him in that era as it speaks to deadheads and country fans alike.

The following Big Iron contains what is the perfect example of a country Telecaster solo: open string twang, some chording and then finish up with some pedal steel bends all in the space of 20 seconds.

What a shame his demons took him out of the game:

#133284  by Tennessee Jedi

the longer I listen to Jerry the more I like the country shredder side of him
I should prob get into the Bakersfield stuff for inspiration
 #133289  by tcsned

even though he's British, Albert Lee is a good one to check out if you haven't. Danny Gatton was about my favorite of this chicken-pickin' dudes.