#126591  by Stella Bloo

I travel alot and spend alot of times on airplanes. I would love to be able to burn by Dead video's (DVD's) onto my laptop or iPad to watch without bringing the DVD's with me.

Any idea how to burn DVD's into iTunes so I would simply have them burned on my computer/iPad?

Thanks....
 #126593  by strumminsix

I've only done this with CD's but was told same for DVD:
1) insert disc into pc drive
2) use a ripping program to store them onto pc in needed format like MP3 or whatever you need for movies (do a search on this)
3) drag the file into your itunes library
4) then in itunes drag from the itunes libragy onto ipad library
 #126608  by Grant

Use HandBrake and convert to mp4 (you can select the device you want to play it on and it will recommend a suitable frame rate etc.)

Let me know if you have any troubles
 #126612  by jkstraw

Grant wrote:Use HandBrake and convert to mp4 (you can select the device you want to play it on and it will recommend a suitable frame rate etc.)

Let me know if you have any troubles
To do this you will need to have VLC installed as well. Both are free - VLC decodes the DVD and Handbrake encodes to a new (in your case iPad friendly format).
 #126615  by Stella Bloo

Thanks JK,

Will I need to run it through VLC first, then Handbrake? Is VLC different than MediaPlayer?

I tried Handbrake once and it downloaded the DVD (took about 2 hours), then I wasn't able to play it, so I gave up.
 #126619  by jkstraw

Stella Bloo wrote:Thanks JK,

Will I need to run it through VLC first, then Handbrake? Is VLC different than MediaPlayer?

I tried Handbrake once and it downloaded the DVD (took about 2 hours), then I wasn't able to play it, so I gave up.

Nope just run Handbrake :-)

VLC just has some libraries that Handbrake uses to do the decoding. Just make sure both are installed.

If on a Mac - VLC 2.0+ breaks things but here is a link to the fix: https://forum.handbrake.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=23301

Link to VLC: http://www.videolan.org/vlc/
Link to Handbrake: http://handbrake.fr/downloads.php
 #126674  by Stella Bloo

Hi Jon,

It's Mark in Florida, we've spoke on the phone a few times as well. I have everything downloaded but when I go to decode, it only decodes about 20 seconds of the DVD.

Any thoughts?
 #126676  by jkstraw

Stella Bloo wrote:Hi Jon,

It's Mark in Florida, we've spoke on the phone a few times as well. I have everything downloaded but when I go to decode, it only decodes about 20 seconds of the DVD.

Any thoughts?
Mark - how's it going man! It sounds like a possible copy protection issue but if the DVD is older and the software has just been downloaded that is unlikely. It is hard for me to troubleshoot through the forum - maybe it would be best to hit me up offline and we can do a phone call this weekend or something - happy to help if I can. Note - I am a PC user though! IF you run Mac I won't be of much good!

In the mean time - try the traditional troubleshooting steps:

- Check that the specs of your PC meet the software requirements
- uninstall and re-install everything, and lots of reboots to ensure library linking with the OS and between apps is happening:

1. Remove any old copies of VLC, Handbrake
2. Reboot PC
3. install latest VLC
4. Reboot
5. install latest Hardbrake
6. Reboot
7. place DVD in drive
8. Launch Handbrake
9. Select DVD as source and try again.