#79169  by mttourpro

http://www.bandnamemaker.com/generator/ ... ubmit.y=46

with a single click it spit out these.....

Deadahead Hippie And The Malicious Quik
Draped Deadahead
Deadahead Parapalegic
Smokin' Deadahead
Heartless Deadahead And The Kneecap
Deadahead Case
Deadahead Of Acid
Deadahead Bronco
Deadahead Of Relationship
Deadahead Sudden

give it a try, you'll at least be amused.
 #79187  by LazyLightnin

HAHA! thats cool as fuck! i personally like Dead Ahead paraplegic! no offense to any paraplegics out there :roll:

practically every combination of associated terms and wordings has already been used. man, it took too long to form this band - ive been at this for 4 years, finally got everyone on the same page and then come to find out that the biggest challenge is producing a band name congruent to our style and genre. everytime we come up with something a search turns up 1-3 bands already employing the name. one thing that i don't see though is any of these groups having issues or squabbles over the discrepancy.
 #79221  by Tennessee Jedi

LazyLightnin wrote:HAHA! thats cool as fuck! i personally like Dead Ahead paraplegic! no offense to any paraplegics out there :roll:

practically every combination of associated terms and wordings has already been used. man, it took too long to form this band - ive been at this for 4 years, finally got everyone on the same page and then come to find out that the biggest challenge is producing a band name congruent to our style and genre. everytime we come up with something a search turns up 1-3 bands already employing the name. one thing that i don't see though is any of these groups having issues or squabbles over the discrepancy.
Lazy-
I'm in the camp of name it what you want. You are regional ; they are regional.Its a play on song lyrics or whatever. There are probably a dozen UJB's ; 1/2 Steps ;Wharf Rats ; etc.out there ....
If someone gets so insane they send you legal documents then move on.
Good luck.
:D :D :D
 #79417  by Mick

Still can't let this go, huh?
LazyLightnin wrote:incredibly hard to write music anymore - so much original music has been written and you find yourself playing a chord progression thats already been used or sounds to close to something else - hell, George Harrison was sued for plagarism.
I think you have a point here. I have heard lots of people say that all the good songs have already been written, apparently you agree with them.

In all seriousness, I think you should take up something with clearly defined rules that need to be applied to a process, I think you will succeed there. I suggest accounting as a profession.

Failing that, I'll suggest "Yellow Sky" as a Dead tribute band name. It's short, to the point, and heads will know what it means.
 #79433  by tcsned

whoa! I just stumbled onto this thread - pretty ummm . . . intense.

I play in a band called The Kind in Blacksburg, VA - we've been using the name since 1986 - there have been a bunch of others to use the name though as best I can tell we were the first - we are certainly the oldest survivors. I have been in contact with a couple of others and they were all cool folks and no bad vibes or anything. We did get some hassling letter from some business in VA Beach some years ago that was using the name but it went nowhere - they actually asked us to play a gig for them. Being the geniuses we were and being somewhat anarchist we never copyrighted the name. Never even crossed our minds.

Does anyone know how the copyright laws work for band names? Is it the same as most intellectual property where copyrights are good to have but not 100% necessary i.e. you can post a picture on the internet with no copyright but it is still legally your property and people can't just use it without permission? But that's a different animal than a band name. We've never been hassled by another band nor have any intentions of doing that to anyone else. We play for money but it's now pretty much of a just for fun thing - just wondering in case one of these other bands gets ornery.
 #79435  by Mick

tcsned wrote:I play in a band called The Kind in Blacksburg, VA - we've been using the name since 1986 - there have been a bunch of others to use the name though as best I can tell we were the first - we are certainly the oldest survivors. I have been in contact with a couple of others and they were all cool folks and no bad vibes or anything. We did get some hassling letter from some business in VA Beach some years ago that was using the name but it went nowhere - they actually asked us to play a gig for them. Being the geniuses we were and being somewhat anarchist we never copyrighted the name. Never even crossed our minds.

Does anyone know how the copyright laws work for band names? Is it the same as most intellectual property where copyrights are good to have but not 100% necessary i.e. you can post a picture on the internet with no copyright but it is still legally your property and people can't just use it without permission? But that's a different animal than a band name. We've never been hassled by another band nor have any intentions of doing that to anyone else. We play for money but it's now pretty much of a just for fun thing - just wondering in case one of these other bands gets ornery.
A band name is intellectual property like anything else. Whether you register your name or not, you are entitled to copyright protection. However, there is a "burden of proof" advantage to Trademarking your name. If I was playing in a band called "The Kind", and I thought you had stolen my name, the burden of proof would be on me to show that you had. However, if I trademark the name, then the burden of proof would be on you to prove that you had been using the name prior to my registration. There is a lot of "blah blah blah" above, but that is basically what it all boils down to.
 #79441  by tcsned

Mick wrote:A band name is intellectual property like anything else. Whether you register your name or not, you are entitled to copyright protection. However, there is a "burden of proof" advantage to Trademarking your name. If I was playing in a band called "The Kind", and I thought you had stolen my name, the burden of proof would be on me to show that you had. However, if I trademark the name, then the burden of proof would be on you to prove that you had been using the name prior to my registration. There is a lot of "blah blah blah" above, but that is basically what it all boils down to.
Thanks Mick, that's what I thought. Like I said, I have no intention of hassling anyone but don't want to get hassled either.
 #79574  by jlg327

Was jamming out to the boys today and had this thought for a band name:

The Zach Lee Perfect Band

Free for anyone who cares to use it. It's not registered, so have at it.
 #79669  by LazyLightnin

i like the name "Crazy Monkey Sex" but my bandmates didn't bite :lol:

you know, crazy fingers might work.....

...and of a course a brief search shows it is being used... :D