#44415  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Fire On The Mountain - Shakedown Street.

#44433  by Stevo123

I really dig the solo on the studio TMNS...plus the horns and other pandemonium going on during the solo make the really interesting bits sound phenomenal. That was a fun one to tab out.

#44435  by BOUKINATOR

ooh, to pick just one.... can't do it, so here's 3

Far From Me
Tons Of Steel
Blow Away

(I didn't plan that to be all Brent tunes... weird)

#44671  by astroman99

One of my favorites is the solo from " Turn On The Bright Lights" from his first solo studio album with Butterflies(?).
:P

#49746  by ELPManticore

Not that I'd say its his greatest, but I'm pretty sure he did the solo on Paul Katner/Grace Slick's MauMau (on Blows against the empire) is one of Jer's heaviest solos.

#49760  by old man down

ELPManticore wrote:Not that I'd say its his greatest, but I'm pretty sure he did the solo on Paul Katner/Grace Slick's MauMau (on Blows against the empire) is one of Jer's heaviest solos.
You just reminded me of the intro riff to Starship on that album. Classic Jerry.

#49761  by Emoto

CountryMile Cadillac wrote:His overall context and feel,along with Billy on Sweet Melinda is too good.
I'm scratching my head here. What is Sweet Melinda?

#49762  by Tennessee Jedi

Didnt they call themselves the "Planet Earth Rock and Roll Orchestra" ? A loose group of San Fran musicians?
Blows Against the Empire is a classic - theres a line on the album that says something like "Cocaine for Free ".
I think thats the album where Garcia is credited with playing "Insect Fear" - whatever that means.
Its related to David Crosbys solo album somehow...
I havent listened to either album in years.
:cool:

#49775  by tigerstrat

BlobWeird wrote:
astroman99 wrote:One of my favorites is the solo from " Turn On The Bright Lights" from his first solo studio album with Butterflies(?).
:P
Awesome solo. Just love how he comes into it with the bends.
That is a great solo, but it's from Compliments, Garcia's 2nd solo record. Just some of my typical nitpicking. "Compliments" by the way was really just a fan nickname: it was officially titled Garcia, same as the first one.

I'll go with Unbroken, also much love for KSM/Stronger Than Dirt.

Regarding Terrapin, are we talking about the one on "Lady With A Fan" (love it) or "Terrapin Flyer", which wasn't a real solo, but constructed by the producer using tape-layering effects, etc?

#49802  by mttourpro

I have to wonder if my favorite Jerry studio solo is even Jerry, in that it's the most sick screaming guitar playing in the middle of Terrapin--the part that's really fast picking---it could be a synth or something else but I've always liked to believe it was Jerry playing his ass off.

That would be the Flyer part I believe. :cool:

#49806  by tigerstrat

mttourpro wrote:I have to wonder if my favorite Jerry studio solo is even Jerry, in that it's the most sick screaming guitar playing in the middle of Terrapin--the part that's really fast picking---it could be a synth or something else but I've always liked to believe it was Jerry playing his ass off.

That would be the Flyer part I believe. :cool:
See the previous post. :peas:

#49813  by CountryMile Cadillac

Emoto wrote:
CountryMile Cadillac wrote:His overall context and feel,along with Billy on Sweet Melinda is too good.
I'm scratching my head here. What is Sweet Melinda?
It is off of Texican Badman, a Rowan album from the mid-late 70's. Great album Garcia and Kreutzmann are on a few stand out tunes including Sweet Melinda, along with Kahn and Grisman.

Track this album down if you can. It is seems to be hard to find, it has been issued on CD though.

You can get a little info on it as well as a shit load of other info by following this link as your pleasure

http://www.deaddisc.com/index.html