#41922  by spilly

Alot of the work I've been doing recently involves transcribing organ and horn parts to guitar.
It started when my band decided we going to do a bunch of Stevie Wonder and live hip-hop medley.
This type of work and the thought process behind it has done wonders for me as a musician. I've found myself analyzing songs in different ways now.
The main thing I've learned from it is new and interesting ways to accentuate chord progressions in which somebody else is holding down the basic rhythm.
some of the tunes we've been working on include Peace Frog, Sir Duke, Jungle Boogie, and Money.
another benefit of this is you have to find new ways of looking at your guitar, and learn new techniques in order to simulate different sound (especially when it comes to the horns) I've been learning various sweeping techniques in order to pull of the horn ornaments in the chorus of Jungle Boogie.

I've also had to gain total control over my whammy bar in order hold the droning chord and play the organ parts for Money at the same time.
If any of you guys are interested in trying some of this stuff out let me know, I may be able to help you get started, it's definatly worth while and will help with your musicianship as well as your basic guitar skills.

If you'd like you can check out the work we've been doing on money as this link

http://profile.myspace.com/index.cfm?fu ... =281557404

#41927  by amyjared

That is way cool! I've always wanted to learn different instrument parts on the guitar and have tried a few. Unfortunately, I don't have the best ears for picking out music, that's why I love tablature! At any rate, I'd love to see any of the songs tabbed out and any help on how to transcribe another instrument for guitar would be incredible!

#41934  by BlobWeird

amyjared wrote: Unfortunately, I don't have the best ears for picking out music, that's why I love tablature!
I had the same problem. I just figured i was musically "declined" lol. But honestly just never stop tryin to figure it out. Ive only been playin for about 4 years. And only seriously playin for about 2. First thing I do that I think helps and also hurts. I analyze the shit out of anything I listen to. Why does it hurt? Cuz I cant really enjoy music anymore lol. I pop somethin on and immediately zone in on one particular instrument and analyze what that instrument does for the whole song. This has helped tremendously to understand the melodies and such though. But also when I jam along to Dead or w/e im not tryin to just play through the song. Im sittin there tryin to mimic all the notes. Even if I have to play the notes on the next bar and it doesnt fit the chord thats still how I do it. So really just keep at it man. Because like I said I couldnt figure out ANY notes before. Now im pretty competent in that department. Even on JG's faster licks. The only problem I still have is with chords. To hear the little 9ths and such is tough for me. I can really only break it down to major, minor and 7ths.