#33754  by Tennessee Jedi

"Good" upgrade?
I got some kind of re-issue Strat.40th anniversary or something.
Anyway, when I was doing originals, I had a Pearly Gates humbucker put in the bridge.Hot pick up for sure!
Now I've been on doing the Dead thing the last couple of years and its a little too hot for that stuff.
It has a push/pull so you get the single coil thing too.
Anyway dont do what I did and not think about how my new pick up was gonna mix with the old ones.
They arent matched very well.
Pearly gates has way more output then the stock jobs the Strat came with.
But hey thats what Strats are for:Chopping up and modding!
Good luck! :cool:

#33762  by tigerstrat

yeah you definitely don't want to mix high-output pups with "vintage"(read:"low") output pups.

but your question is pretty general and there are tons of different pups. do you have a target sound?

#33768  by bucketorain

tigerstrat wrote:yeah you definitely don't want to mix high-output pups with "vintage"(read:"low") output pups.

but your question is pretty general and there are tons of different pups. do you have a target sound?
i'm looking for something rich and full....then again, how do i know what sound i want...i definitely want to keep a vintage sound with great tone.

#33774  by dpmphoto

Try jason lollar pickups pricey but hey if there good enough for richards and clapton.Oh not trying to start a conflict here or anything but pearly gates are not that hot compared to other humbuckers,warren haynes and dicky both use pearly gates and I've had many sets good for the vintage les paul sound.

#33775  by strumminsix

What do you pickups sound like now?
What do you want differently?

I like Lace Sensor pickups but I don't like Strats per say.
dpmphoto wrote:Try jason lollar pickups pricey but hey if there good enough for richards and clapton.Oh not trying to start a conflict here or anything but pearly gates are not that hot compared to other humbuckers,warren haynes and dicky both use pearly gates and I've had many sets good for the vintage les paul sound.
Pearly Gates rock! They are, IMO on the slightly hotter side but definately not "hot".

#33809  by Revv23

i have kinman 69's in my strat. Extremly happy with them; makes my strat night and day better then the stock ones. My mexi sounds better then the $1500 clapton strat at GC. :)

The 69's are a bit hotter then normal strat pickups; if you are looking for classic vinatage strat sounds, kinman has a set for that too. I find i can nail alligator jerry tone with a fender amp and these pickups.

#37800  by mrMix

I have a set of Fralins and love them.

#37809  by China Cat

i have a fender Am Dlx strat that came stock with Fender Samarium CObalt Noiseless pickups. theyre sweet! dead silent, smooth, clear, and a little ballsier than standard single coils.theyre a little pricey but theyre perfect

#41908  by High Peaks

I have some hot rails and a Seymour hot sc. They are pretty hot sounding pickups. Depending on what type/or era you are playing these sound pretty good.

#41912  by milobender

I make my own, with a Jason Lollar inspired machine :D

The ones I'm using now, are low output, "vintage" type, all close to 6K ohms. The lower the resistance, the cleaner the tone (up to a point)... If you know what type of tone you want, you can taylor the pup output. Contact me off board if you want talk about making some.

I've made some nice sounding P90s too.

#41913  by razmablues

anyone tried strats with super 2's?

#41918  by spilly

me and a buddy of mine did some work on his strat not to long ago, he had seymour duncans, and they sounded good, but not quit warm enough. We wound up putting in a pair of Texas Humbucker 2s. That was good, it gave off a Stevey Ray sound, but what really made the difference was we sheilded the inside of the instrument with copper lining. This, while not only sheilding the guitar from interference, made the guitar sound really nice and warm, as it added extra weight and resonance.

all in all it's a great sounding guitar