#33541  by bucketorain

I have been noticing a lot of posts about scales and and how to play lead in various songs.

Could there be a project set up as to where in the GD tabs section where the chords are for the various songs maybe enter in a note suggesting the appropriate scale or mode for the solo?

#33550  by Hunkle

Great Idea Bucketorain!

#33552  by bucketorain

High Peaks wrote:You mean we all have to agree on something!!!!!!
we should not agree on a particular scale or mode for any give song...all we should be doing is entering in suggestions...

the way i see it, if there is more than one suggestion, how good could that be?

#33553  by b weird

Yeah, I second that suggestion. :cool:

#33554  by Pete B.

Sounds like fun.
I just learned how to do YouTube vids, so i will start posting my take on things to the individual song forums.
'Should have time to do a few later this week.
Next up...
Touch of Grey solo using the CAGED method, heavy on the arpeggio factor.

Here's a take on practicing scales for Eyes intro/outro jam... Ionian scales using CAGED in the Key of E:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8f0Do9tAQ

#33560  by Billbbill

Pete B. wrote:Sounds like fun.
I just learned how to do YouTube vids, so i will start posting my take on things to the individual song forums.
'Should have time to do a few later this week.
Next up...
Touch of Grey solo using the CAGED method, heavy on the arpeggio factor.

Here's a take on practicing scales for Eyes intro/outro jam... Ionian scales using CAGED in the Key of E:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kR8f0Do9tAQ
Sounds good Pete B.! If you want, when you go to post you can hit the 'youtube' box, paste the link url, and then click the 'youtube' box again and embed it in the thread post. In case you aren't already aware....

#33580  by kevo

I'm pretty sure there was a thread like this a long time ago, maybe try searching for it and revive it.

#34931  by cunamara

Thing is, ya gotta be careful to play music rather than scales and modes. Soloing is creating a counter-melody over the harmony.

I mean, if you're thinking "OK, A Ionian here, then E Mixolydian, then D Lydian here, then- dang, Dmin7b5 WTF? Oh yeah, that's the ii of C melodic minor..." Well, then, you're not playing music are you? You're just painting by numbers using scales.

I think in terms of tonal centers: this stretch of chords in is A, then there's one bar in Eb, then back to A. It's a lot easier than trying to remember how all those modes relate to the chords. Modes and scales are just guides showing what notes are "inside" at any moment, but it's hard to remember that stuff on the fly and- at least for me- it tends to get in the way of playing music.

#34935  by strumminsix

IMO - we should decide as a group what to do with video instruction...

Do you put them in the section of the song or in the video instruction section?

My suggestion would be to first load them in the video instruction section then have the admins move them to the song section and leave a "shadow" which still shows it there but says it's moved.

#34942  by Pete B.

"Thing is, ya gotta be careful to play music rather than scales and modes."

If one wants to learn to use scales and modes to create music, I believe there's a stage you have to go through, (I've heard it called "Guitar-itis"), where you have to blatently play/apply scales and modes to the music you are interested in, in order to build the brain to fingers connections required to solo fluently without clamming out, and to be able to spontaniously improvise meaningful and creative ideas.
I try to be aware of my current stage of developement, continually note/update my progress, and target the next coupla notches.

Yeah, I guess the Video Instruction section would be the place to start posting Vids.