#31918  by Long Distance Runner

Can anybody suggest a good 6-string acoustic in the price range of $250-300? So far, I've looked at a Baby Taylor and an Alvarez Dreadnought.

#31919  by strumminsix

Sorry to say, LDR, but with acoustics and quality comes price. I'd highly recommend the used market. I've played cheap acoustics for years and they do the job but none would I call quality.

Most of the higher end makers use aged wood that shifts less in time. The lower end makers use fresher wood that shifts more significantly over time.

For decent you could get a Takamine.

#31927  by tigerstrat

in that range I like Washburn.

#31963  by Mr.Charlie

You could double the amount your willing to spend, maybe to around $500, and get yourself a pretty decent Takamine, or even a Taylor, and you'll be set, because if you buy one that cheap, for $250 or whatever, you'll be wanting something better quality in no time. I think the next step up is a worthwhile investment.

#31983  by frankielee

Yeah if you could swing 5 bills you could also consider the Martin DX1 Nice guitar I've had mine about two yrs. with no problems and it sounds great.If you cannot than I would consider something used as suggested above...I bought a used Seagull once for 200 bucks and it was a great guitar.

#32197  by mlynn2600

what everyone has said so far is correct. if you can hold on and save alittle more money you can get an instrument that you can play for years versus something that you will want to upgrade when you start playing out or recording with.

i'm a martin guy and own a d-16 and i love it...it cost 950 new and around 7 used. for 400-500 dollars you can get a used takemine or alvarez yari that would play very well. for 250 unfortunately theres not much i can recommend except a yamaha...they make pretty good guitars for not alot of money. good luck!