#28833  by IamDocWatson

ive been working on a ton of fiddle tunes picking and strumming frequently for like 4-8 hours a day for a little while and i think i may be overdoing it...
my wrists are usually like worn out feeling by the end of the night, but not that bad...my elbow tho feels messed up almost throbbing in a way, its really wierd like the pain feels like its deep inside of my arm, it feels even deeper away than my arm is wide, its wierd feeling..so i dunno just throwing it out there...

anyone have any idea on treating elbow soreness?

#28836  by jackr

Masturbate with the other hand!! :shock:

Just kidding, I used to get a lot of elbow soreness when I was a carpenter from nailing all day. It much like "tennis elbow"

I had gone to the doctor (this was about 20 years ago so I dont know if things have changed) He basically told me told me to ice it down and rest it and take tylenol.

Not much else to do.

#28843  by Laytonco

Also, start taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin. You can buy the kind that has both in it. They're fairly espensive but Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is believed to play a role in cartilage formation and repair. Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity. I had "tennis elbow" from playing and my Dr recommended this stuff. The pain was so severe that I was actually waking up at night. After a month of taking this, the pain was gone and has not come back.

Peace,

Gil

#28856  by IamDocWatson

Laytonco wrote:Also, start taking Glucosamine and Chondroitin. You can buy the kind that has both in it. They're fairly espensive but Glucosamine is a form of amino sugar that is believed to play a role in cartilage formation and repair. Chondroitin sulfate is part of a large protein molecule (proteoglycan) that gives cartilage elasticity. I had "tennis elbow" from playing and my Dr recommended this stuff. The pain was so severe that I was actually waking up at night. After a month of taking this, the pain was gone and has not come back.

Peace,

Gil
thanks...that kinda sounds right...it doesnt feel like the bone or the muscle, it may be a cartlidge/joint issue

#28859  by jackr

It is probably tendonitus. Some anti inflamitory should help too.
 #28872  by Oscillation

IamDocWatson wrote:ive been working on a ton of fiddle tunes picking and strumming frequently for like 4-8 hours a day for a little while and i think i may be overdoing it...
my wrists are usually like worn out feeling by the end of the night, but not that bad...my elbow tho feels messed up almost throbbing in a way, its really wierd like the pain feels like its deep inside of my arm, it feels even deeper away than my arm is wide, its wierd feeling..so i dunno just throwing it out there...

anyone have any idea on treating elbow soreness?
quit yer damn whining and get back to practicing!

#28879  by senorlefty

Take an over the counter anti-inflammatory and rotate ice and heat. Also, there are good stretches that you can do with a long rubber band (resistance cable) that will increase your flexibility. If you notice swelling, redness or bruising see your local doc.

#28881  by strumminsix

senorlefty wrote:Take an over the counter anti-inflammatory and rotate ice and heat. Also, there are good stretches that you can do with a long rubber band (resistance cable) that will increase your flexibility. If you notice swelling, redness or bruising see your local doc.
Excellent advice! Perfect!

The only addition is to heat a warm muscle then ice it.

#28884  by Pete B.

Just curious about the symptom...
Are you talking about a pain that is inside your elbow area, like below the area where they might typically draw blood, the area where that thick bicep tendon attaches in with the forearm (with your hand held out in a gimmee-five jesture)?
Like it doesn't hurt if you press on the area, but if you tighten up the bicep and forearm mucles it hurts?

Or are you talking about classic tennis elbow, which is on the outside of your elbow, like more like in the crazy bone area?

#28887  by IamDocWatson

never heard it called crazy bone..thats cool, where are you from??...i always said funny bone...

but yeah pain on the funny bone side mostly i guess it hurts if i extend my arm straight to the extreme also like if i try to stretch it ...

other then that it just feels kinda strange unless im practicing then pain kinda sets in after a while and just feels awkward

#28898  by Pete B.

For the tennis elbow symptom it seems like they always tell you to stop doing whatever it is that is aggravating it, but you might try wearing a tennis elbow brace.
I had a pretty bad case a while back from windsurfing.
Crazy bone?... maybe a Jersey thing?

I think holding the guitar pick too tight has a bit to do with causing this symptom.
For example, while looking at the sore elbow area (arm in guitar playing position), clinch/release your thumb and index finger like you are griping a guitar pick really tight. Notice how the muscles in your forearm flex, especially where they anchor to the elbow (you can put your other hand on the sore spot to see if there is a correlation). You can often see/feel the point of aggravation. That's where the brace should go.
fwiw, I've been playing Black Berry Blossom, Black Mt Rag, etc. for years, and find this type of playing to be like training a muscle group.

#28899  by IamDocWatson

its my fretting arm ...maybe im squeezing my left hand with two much pressure...i have been thinking this anyway...and working to be as light as possible....

yeah blue grass is like music bootcamp
 #28918  by jackr

IamDocWatson wrote: picking and strumming frequently for like 4-8 hours a day
Is that all you practice? If you dont increase your practice time and start taking it seriously, you will never get good. :-)

Seriously, I am jealous. I have time to get in an hour or so. Sometimes I can play my electric for a couple of hours with no amp while watching TV.

When the kids and the wife are out it all guitar. ( I live for those momments)

#28968  by IamDocWatson

well thats kind of like a bittersweet idea for me...ive wanted to play guitar for about 8 years now...im 23...when i was young i had no money for a guitar, when i turned 18 my first job was a carpenter where i was working 7-7 like 6 days a week for alot of the year.so i started getting money but had no time to devote to the instrument.2 years ago though i injured my back badly at work and long story short i got a small settlement...so i figured all the time i put into work and now im left with a mangled back and no job to go back to...im taking advatage of this somehow...so i bought a bunch of instruments and havent worked for 2 years, mainting a religious practice ritiual...at least 4 to sometimes 8+ hours a day...so hopefully i start getting better some day so i dont feel like im wasting away in bedroom with a guitar around my neck :lol: