#28759  by st. stephen

On the first look I thought it would be in D, because a verse starts and ends with a D-chord, and also this walk up is heading for the D chord, but then I looked at the riffs and they weren't in D, also the main chords are D, C, G and Em. That meant for me it's in G.... :shock:
so what is it now, I just want to be sure.
thanks

#28762  by AugustWest

I use D mixolydian same notes as G major scale but adds more focus to the D. since the song is focused around D.
 #28769  by tigerstrat

st. stephen wrote:the main chords are D, C, G and Em.
You forgot F.

G with a progression of
V-IV-I-V
and
VII(mixo sub)-IV-vi-V.

#28795  by smile_smile_smile

i use d mixolydian.....how does everyone else do the end build up shrills?(if thats what they're even called, but I'm sure people know what i mean, i hope)

#28808  by BOUKINATOR

never been one for figuring out what mode I'm playing.. in fact I've never met anyone who think's of modes while in mid solo... fact is, if you're staying in key and playing over the chords that are going on in the background (rhythm guitar/keys/etc) you're just fine

took me a while with this one.. in fact I've got a decent version of MD up on my band's myspace... there's definately a key change at the 2nd half of the verses (i.e. "... I can't walk you out, in the morning dew, my honey..." etc.) which is the same as the jam at the end (F C F C em D)

I play in G over the 1st part of the verse and then switch to C for the 2nd... make sense? ... my uneducated guess would be that that is the same as D mixo and F mixo???

I just lump them together into a mode I crafted myself called Boukxolydian... second only to the legendary Burigienian mode (inside joke)

#28845  by ronster

Apparently I have been playing my leads in Boukxolydian mode all this time with out even knowing it. I'm with you. The G maj (D mixo) works well because it it has the F# for the D chord but as soon as the change comes with the F chord then you need to toss that F# for a F and you have a C maj scale.

As far as building the shrill, I play this with my right hand going as fast as possible just following the F>C>Em>D chord structure

E|--10s11s12s13-----13-----13-s13-s13--12--10-------
B|--10s11s12s13-15p-13-15p-13-s15-s15--12--10-12p10-
G|--11s12s13s14-15p-14-15p-14----------12--11-12p11-
D|--------------------------------------------------
A|--------------------------------------------------
E|--------------------------------------------------

Somtimes I'll pluck the harmonics for the Em on the 12th fret or play it at frets 19-20-21 with lots of vibrato if I'm using my electric.

#28870  by tigerstrat

A "shrill"?

#28889  by ronster

I was just respnding to smilex3 request. I assumed by shrill at the end he meant the high part at the of Jerry's solo were he cranks it up but WTFK.