#24612  by b weird

I am just courious, when did you start tabing Dead songs, do you only tab Dead songs, what was the hardest song to tab out (Dead or non-Dead), what was the most fun song to tab, and when did RUKind first come on-line? Maybe I'm asking the wrong person, but I have a feeling I'm not. Thanks. :D

#24670  by ebick

well, I'll give you a little history.

In the late 80's I was working for a fairly forward thinking bank. We in fact, were one of th first banks to have a web site. A company called CONNIX was the ISP. With that commercial account came 10 "personal" accounts which each came with an e-mail address and a spot for a web site. Being the DP manager, I was given one of thoose 10.

What to do with my web space?????

After messing around a bit, I decided that I would create a repository for myself. I knew that I knew how to play a lot of songs, but from time to time would forget some of the riffs or less common parts, and paper storage was a PITA. So started tabbing out songs for myself, mainly. I had used OLGA and one of the things I just did not like about it was the fact that often times I did not know what the author was trying to convey with the tab. So, I started included sound files simply to say, "if you play this tab they way I intended for you to play it, this is what it should sound like".

Although the site was mostly GD tabs, others were included as well; Beatles, Dylan, Stones, and MISC among them.

After a while, the site started to get fairly popular. After a bit more, CONNIX wanted me to pay a fee to go commercial. I could not see that, and I also did not want to get into trying to collect money from users or implement adverting. So I let the visitors of the site know that the end had come.

A couple of folks asked about talking over the hosting of the site, and after having conversations with a few of them, I came to an agreement with Gregg, who has in fact now hosted the site longer than I did. And just for anyone who might be wondering, the "agreement" had nothing to do with money. I simply asked that he not change the tabs just because any given e-mailer thought it was wrong. When I was hosting and would get those e-mails, I would usually give the input a try and if I agreed, I would change the tab, if I didn't I would invite the person to continue playing it their way. Since I was not going to have that kind of control over the site, I just asked Gregg not to make any changes to the tabs. And in fact for years, I disappeared.

I forget the event that got me back involved but one of the results was these forums, conceived by and implemented by Gregg. The main driving force behind them was to give you folks the opportunity to say how you played something if they way you played it differed from they way I played it. It has obviously evolved way past that into a very friendly and enjoyable community for many, and kudos to you all for that.

As a footnote, the non-GD tabs were dropped some time ago due to the issues surrounding law-suits for copyright violations. Gregg made the decision to pull them and I supported him 100%. Gregg had sought out and recieved permission from Ice-Nine to continue to have original GD material posted.

So you can certainly thank me for the tabs, but thank Gregg as well. Without his years of expense, blood, sweat and tears, the site would have been gone a long time ago.

Hardest stuff to tab? Some of the Terrapin Station parts, and most of the Blues For Allah stuff.

Thanks for asking.

Ed

#24678  by frankielee

Just want you guys to know(e-bick and gregg) that i taught myself how to play guitar thanks to rukind.the chord finder was (and still is)a huge help. i have been coming to the sight for years but just recently joined the forum Thanks again for all the hard work and dedication...frankielee...p.s. first song learned-friend of the devil...first show-12/07/1971...last show...summer 94.

#24690  by b weird

Thank you E-bick and Gregg for this awesome site! Rock on RUKind!!!! :cool: P.S. Thanks for the history of RUKind, it was quite interesting to find out how the site started. Peace.