#5891  by tigerstrat

Shaggy wrote:Not Fade Away - became boring, lost it's edge after 71.
I have to assume by that, that you've never heard the Space> NFA from 2/27/81, the hottest licks Jerry ever played on that song. The parts of your face that aren't blown away will melt off.

#5894  by Billbbill

I hear you shakedown. But expectations can smack you in the ass.

>I am expecting this kick ass version<

Expectations are a double edged sword. When they're not lived up to, they're a let down. That's not to say you shouldn't hope for that hot version, but the fall isn't as far if it doesn't materialize.

Your golf analogy is right on. Once you make that bird from off the green, those trips into the woods while still annoying are worth it as you might have a chance for a bird on that next hole.

You can even pee while you're there. :-)

#5899  by eyeprod

cant agree on big river at all. love it. same with cowboy tunes.

totally agree about weir dylan covers(thumbsdown), though i have heard him do some fairly well on one or two occasions

jerry masterpiece is great!

never cared for heavens door at all

agree hey jude was awfully funny

totally agree nfa lost it's edge after a certain point. very boring.

one i'd mention is lovelight by weir. painful to my ears. i think jerry tried a couple that were pretty weak imo, but were pleasing just to hear him do, like i want to tell you.

baba o- awful, but kinda cool to hear in some way

#5910  by marley66

i fought the law was the worst i heard. the worst extended cover, meaning the dead(in its recent version) was Nothing Else Matters=Metallica :shock:

#5973  by hesgone95

What? the dead covered a Metallica(?!) song? PLEASE tell me I misunderstood that. PLEASE, I'm begging you. :-?

#5974  by tigerstrat

He's not referring to the Grateful Dead playing Metallica, but "The Dead", which actually means The Other Ones, or the Deader Ones or the Remaining Male Members or whatever fits best. Sounds like a can of bad cover worms best left unopened.

"Black Queen" was pretty much a mess when the GD played it with Stills, 4/17/83, but its so obscure a lot of people aren't familiar w/it.

But we probably have a winner with the Hey Jude 3/1/69 (especially capping off such an explosive show), and some close runners up with the 6/23/88 Blackbird (the one 7/17/88 was much improved), and the Stir It Up 3/26/88 (only 1 incomplete verse sung by Bobby before he signals to bail).

#5978  by wisedyes

Omy God i forgot about that Stir It Up from Hampton! I was at that show and remember thinking " You have GOT to be kidding, right"?

For covers played more than once, I thought I Fought the Law was just an awful choice, and every Blackbird I ever heard was agonizingly bad. :roll:

I also have to say that I was at a couple of the shows where they pulled out the Devil With a Blue Dress-Good Golly Miss Molly medley, and it sorta sucked. They sounded okay doing it, just was a bit over the top, inmho.

#5982  by CaptainTrips

I always like Bobby's cowboys tunes especially Me and My Uncle and Mamma Tried.

Knockin just doesnt seem like a song the Dead should be playing, Id much rather hear Desolation Row.

Hated Dancin in the Streets, , , any version of the song I just cant stand it.

Always a fan of NFA though even if just because how it got the crowd into it

#5985  by amyjared

I can't believe I forgot my all-time favorite! I was at a show in SF at the Civic center (forgot what year, late'80's or early '90's) and they did Get Back by the Beatles! I love that song, but they messed it up so bad. Someone told me Bobby did it for his dog, which had died that day. Not sure, but what a mess! Almost as bad as the Stir it Up from Hampton that I saw. Of course, I don't consider these "bad covers" because they're just poor attempts. I consider "bad covers" to mean songs that I didn't like that the dead covered. Am I wrong?

#5992  by eyeprod

oh man, i think that get back was what i was thinking of instead of hey jude(which was pretty bad too). was it early 84, like the first show that year? it was awful, but if he did it for his dog, well thats cool.

#6000  by tigerstrat

Speaking of Hey Jude, it's just flat wrong that we would mention the 3/1/69 without also dumping on the OTHER full version of the song the Dead played, on 3/22/90, which was JUST as bad! Total mess. At one point I saw Brent hang his head so low it looked like he was banging the keys with his forehead. :? (Almost sounded that way too) :lol:

Great show and great two-nighter overall though.

#6031  by b weird

Kansas City from 10/28/85 was pretty bad.

#6036  by phpbb

tigerstrat -

you are so right on that Hey Jude from Copps. I started laughing at how rediculous it was. They could not pull out of it either. I just remember "Nah Nah Nah Nah" going forever....

However, The night before was one of my favorite shows....

#6040  by tigerstrat

I liked the Kansas City! In honor of "Mr Hemorhoid" and the Royals

#40817  by weirimpressed

dancin in the streets...it always seems like they dont really want to play it when I hear it at shows, does anyone have a ripping version of it?

Also, Knockin on Heavens Door has always been kinda played out, but it still sounds alright and i could stand listening to it