Place for the rest of the music
 #138380  by tcsned

It's been a while since we've played a house . . . err garage party. Our friend Greg is a world-class beer brewer and overall cool guy. He shot some video and if you check out his YouTube channel he does a lot of reviews of craft beer from all over the country. These guys were all friends, roadies, and sound guys for the late 70s-early 80s Dead band Truckers Delight. Greg's also a drummer and has a kit that would make Neil Peart jealous :cool:

It wasn't my most energetic playing as I was a little groggy from the bar gig the night before but the sound on the video came out pretty well. It also looks like Wendy is wearing Bob Weir signature pants :shock:

I'm starting to get my rig dialed in, [edit] I'm using my milobender custom Tele w/tapped super 2, I think it was the Alembic Blaster pre possibly the Waldo buffer, Earth Dirve, T-Rex Replica delay, SMS CTP, Mac 2100.[end edit] let me know what you think:

Me and My Uncle/Big River
 #138381  by strummingturtle

love the chemical containers on the shelves behind. Also what is that trippy looking monitor on the bass player?
I think your playing is top notch along with your tone. Great job man.
Cheers
 #138383  by tcsned

There's a pool right outside of that back door so there's pool chemicals, he works on his Harley in there too, god only knows what else is in there :shock:

That monitor is a passive JBL Eon.

Oh, I forgot to add the speakers are (2) 12" Beyma Liberty speakers in Hogan cab.

Thanks!
 #138385  by tatittle

Springy licking tc. and a good energy all around.
I might turn the reverb down a bit, maybe add some delay instead if a wider sound is favored. Sounds good though, and you don't miss a beat :P
In these parts the house parties pay a better than the bar gigs usually.
 #138386  by tcsned

tatittle wrote:Springy licking tc. and a good energy all around.
I might turn the reverb down a bit, maybe add some delay instead if a wider sound is favored.
In these parts the house parties pay a better than the bar gigs usually.
Thanks. I agree about the reverb. It might be the garage affecting it too. We didn't bother putting mics on the amps. I've got some delay going, it sounds like a little slap-back. I'm not super consistent with how I set the delay - mostly however the knobs wind up after bouncing around the gear bag. If it sounds cool I roll with it. The T-Rex Replica is a sweet delay in almost any setting.
 #138387  by tcsned

Here's another one -
Son of a Preacher Man--> Bertha
 #138430  by hippieguy1954

Hey! You guys sound great and your playing sounds excellent! :smile:
 #138435  by tcsned

hippieguy1954 wrote:Hey! You guys sound great and your playing sounds excellent! :smile:
Thanks hg1954! There are more sour notes in there than I would like, though I'd like to blame them on the late night before and the yellow jackets that seem to take an interest in me :roll: If nothing else I thought the sound on the video came out pretty well and I got a better sense of how the rig sounds in a band setting.

We've been working with a keyboard player the last few weeks that shows promise. I used the Roland GR55 to and some B3 to Preacher Man and Bertha but doesn't replace having a good keys guy.
 #138437  by hippieguy1954

I hear ya about the "keys". I've been searching for a good reliable keyboard player for quite sometime. Seems to be the hardest spot to fill and as you know, certain songs are a real challenge without one.
As far as sour notes go, that's the learning curve we all struggle with to some extent. It's the "nitty gritty".
I didn't notice any in your vids on the one listen I did. Then again it's subjective. What might sound sour to you might seem fine to me etc., but I know what you mean. I'm a just missing sour notes sometimes. That'll get ya sweatin' !
 #138444  by tcsned

I think part of it is that the Dead were more known as a guitar band and keyboard dudes tend to go for more keyboard oriented bands even though Brent and Keith were both fantastic keyboard players. We've played some really good players over the years but none of them were really deadheads. This guy, David is and has some good chops. He shouldbe here in a few minutes and we're gonna run through some tunes.
 #138459  by tatittle

Maybe it is bc keyboardists usually learn to play sheet music, and thus many are not as comfortable with spontaneity etc. since the began with a different approach. I just read a quote of Brent's where he talked about how when he started playing in "jam" bands he basically had to start over, since he had always played sheet music prior to that, and they can seem like totally different approaches especially when your young. This is a common hurdle for even accomplished classical type players in general I have found (on any instrument)....all the things like spontaneity and syncopation and feel are not nec'y part of a traditional technical education, and can even be discouraged some places. They sound stiff on certain material. Boy there is nothing like a good keyboardist to jam with though!