#153022  by wabisabied

I'm considering an impulse buy of a "family organ" off CL. It's a Swinger 700 by Kimball and would be an awesome addition to the studio. My biggest impediment is moving the thing. Too tall for my canopied pickup. Is it safe to move it on its back? I have read that this can be done with a Hammond, but nothing specific to Kimballs or this model, and I'm a complete neophyte when it comes to organs. Any help appreciated.

Also, while I'm here, they're asking $100 and say it works great but "might need a tuning." Fair price? Words to run from?

Thanks!
 #153024  by ccw3432

I use to have an old Kimball. You won't get the Hammond type sounds out of it but they do make some cools sounds that are heavy on the cheese. It's fine to transport it on the side. Often folks are looking to get rid of these things because of their size and vintage. You can sometimes find them for free, so I wouldn't pay too much for it. The tuning thing doesn't make sense to me either for this type of organ. I bet it plays in tune.
 #153025  by jkstraw

I just got a deal on a 1964 B3 with a Leslie 122. The move was a two man job using a stair climbing hand truck. The organ was a chop job and weighs approx 330lbs the Leslie was light in comparison (about 120lbs).

We didn't have it on it's back, but rather on the side. One thing to note - the internals on the B3 (and can't say for sure about any others but mention it 'just in case') are actuall suspended on a spring based frame internally. When you move it there are a couple screws you put in place to lock the spring frame in place (to keep it from moving around and causing damage).

I can't understand how you can gig with these things - wow! But like you - mine is for the studio/jam room.

Good luck!
 #153031  by Rusty the Scoob

ccw3432 wrote:I use to have an old Kimball. You won't get the Hammond type sounds out of it but they do make some cools sounds that are heavy on the cheese. It's fine to transport it on the side. Often folks are looking to get rid of these things because of their size and vintage. You can sometimes find them for free, so I wouldn't pay too much for it. The tuning thing doesn't make sense to me either for this type of organ. I bet it plays in tune.
Yep. We had a Hammond Colonnade in perfect shape and ended up having to pay 1-800-got-junk to get rid of it. Nobody wanted it.
 #153040  by wabisabied

I went and registered at organforum.com and asked those guys. Sounds like it's okay to transport on its back, but $100 is about $100 too much. I'll keep an eye out for a better organ and deal and get more advice from the organists. They're very helpful.

If you want some chuckles, go read through a few threads and enjoy gems like "I think that he is just too over protective of his organ. I don't think anyone else has played it in the last forty seven years." Pretty churchy place, though, so I've kept my subversive sense of humor to myself.