#10726  by mttourpro

I've been playing an Ensoniq KS-32 for almost 14 years. I've had the keybed replaced and may do so again, as after a while, the weights become "loose" and this makes for uneven action. I really like its weighted action and piano sounds a lot and will likely just get it re-keyed again but I thought I would ask if anyone out there uses something newer that might be worth looking into.

It would have to have at least 76 keys, weighted action and exceptionally good piano/electric piano sounds and ideally, some decent horns too. I'm not concerned about organ as I have a Roland VK-7 and Motion Sound amp for that.

Also, been using a Pevey KB-300 since 89 and it's starting to have some issues....what kind of amps are folks using and how do you like them. I was considering Barbetta but there's no local dealer to check one out. I wonder if anyone uses/recommends any particular small powered mixer instead of an amp?

Any suggestions would be welcome. TIA

#11292  by mttourpro

Is there anybody out there......?

#11308  by tigerstrat

Kurzweil PC-88 has awesome piano action & sound.

#11329  by mttourpro

TS, thanks for the info....

Is that what your board player uses? If so, has he had any problems with it? How long has he had one?
Do you know what amp he uses and if he really likes it?

As for the board, I want to avoid getting something that's a controller as that would mean additional costs for sound modules and more gear to schlep.

I'll be checking into boards/amps a bit this week as I have some time to do so. I don't know if I want to get a full 88 as it's tougher to move around and takes up more stage room that's often pretty scarce to begin with, but I need to do something fairly soon.

Thanks again, MT
 #12429  by sneaz

I use a Yamaha S90 ES. It has 88 keys, incredibly smooth and sensitive weighted action and the best samples I've ever heard. Gorgeous pianos, kickass symths, and any other instruments you can think of. I use a Motion Sound Stereo keyboard amp which provides deep bass and crystal highs with a nice stereo image. I love this setup, as does the band.
 #26713  by saintjeremy

I take an Alesis QS8.1, an Ensoniq QS1, and a Fender Rhodes 88 onstage with me. The Alesis is a great board with a lot of good piano sounds, plus it has a great clav sound that get's muscled with the wah pedal - The Kurzweil pc88 is superb especially when coupled with a d-50 rack unit driving some of the sound... for tha matter I love anything Kurzweil, they're very smart instruments

Still, I'll take what Page (phish) plays anyday - 9' yamaha grand, Hammond B3, Clavinet D6, Fender Rhodes, minimoog... that's is my dream setup for certain -