#1867  by 7700

Who is everyones favorite bass player? My all time favorite is Jack Bruce, but lately I've been listening to Flea from the Chili Peppers and I have to say... "this guy is a Freakin' Guenius." Let's not forget Chris Squire from Yes.
I play a Fender P-bass (1978) and a Rick (1974) through a Fender bassman Amp (1969).

#1869  by ebick

Chris Squire & John Entwhistle top the list for me.

#2230  by TrimJib

Les Claypool, Mike G.

#2363  by settledowneasy91

John Entistle and definatley Rick Danko are my favorites

#2364  by wtsant

Jaco Pastorius, incredible. Victor Wooten, unbelievable. Marcus Miller is tremendous as are Dave Schools of WP, Oteil Burbridge, Geddy Lee, and James Jamerson (THE groove behind motown). Just some of my favorites. I play a Warwick Streamer 5 string thru an Ampeg SVT and classic 4X10.

#2368  by steve

Rick Danko and Jaco Pastorius. I love Phil's style though

#2788  by tigerstrat

Phil, Jaco, Oteil, Entwistle, Jamerson... all are giants.

My FOUR necessary additions will be from the worlds of classic blues-rock, classic jazzy rockin funk, modern jamband/jazz fusion, and classic to modern jazz:

John Paul Jones
Chuck Rainey
Kai Eckhardt
...and THE MAN, Dave Holland.

#10489  by acidrain30005

Mine are, in order:

1. Phil Lesh
2. Les Claypool
3. Flea
4. Mike Gordon
5. Marcus Miller
6. Cliff Burton
7. Victor Whooton
8. Chris Squire
9. Geddy Lee
10. Gene Simmons

#10490  by phreaker

Claypool, no doubt.

#10493  by China Cat

mike gordon - (phish) amazing at keeping a jam going, improv might be best of anyone since phil

phil lesh, i love his unique way of writing and playing basslines

rob derhak - (moe.) is a great slap player

there are the legends of course: jaco, flea, victor wooten, guys who are just unbelievable

bootsy collins

who played bass for zappa? he was also good (im thinking of hot rats era zappa)

#10494  by tigerstrat

China Cat wrote: who played bass for zappa? he was also good (im thinking of hot rats era zappa)
Tom Fowler!!

#10504  by hobo

Chris Wood of Medeski, Martin, and Wood is amazing, but very under appreciated , especially in a band consisting of musical geniuses like Medeski and Martin, but he can freakin rock out on either the electric or a stand up, never seen anyone play the stand up like he does, check these guys out if you haven't already.

#10506  by garciahead

how come nobody mentions charles mingus?

i'm a guitarist, but as such, i am constantly stealing the bass from my bassist and jamming on it. mingus is amazing. as well as all other mentioned thus far.

#10508  by gr8fulbluz

I haven't seen Jimmy Haslip listed yet. He does that plays upside down strung thing. I got to see him in a small super club, fantastic.
Jaco and Vic Wooten are always on the top of my lists as well and as are all the others mentioned already.