#62832  by Dr Funkenstein

Finally, some bass players. I like this site a lot but there isn't a lot of bass help for a new bass player like me. I've been playing for three years and I play a Fender Jazz bass.

Fav Dead song to play: Eyes (but haven't mastered it). I want to learn many more but there aren't many tabs out there. I do try to figure out basically what's going on by looking at the guitar tabs but it sure would be helpful if there were at least a few bass tabs.

Fav other song to play: Hmmm. tough one, I'd have to go with anything from Rage Against the Machine. Love the evil funk.

Thanks for starting this thread (years ago), good to see at least a few bass players out there.
 #62847  by tigerstrat

NashvilleMike wrote:
Rusty the Scoob wrote:I play that intro as E-F#-G-A-G-A-B-A-B-D-B-D-E
Thanks man that's the ticket!
haven't checked this thread since last post, never saw that request. I'm not a tabber either, but that's exactly how I play it, all at 1st fret pos... I usually slip a sort of anticipatory or 'ghost' (G) in front of it.

I like 80's Other Ones that don't have this intro bit, not so much the 87-early 88ish ones with the "quiet" intro and 1st verse (like Toronto 87 or Rosemont 88- good, but not faves), but ones that build gradually steadily with every teased out 12/8 from a spacey whisper up to a screaming freakout. Check out 9/12/88 Spectrum for one of my very favorite late model O1's. A very "on" night for the band as a whole, but damn listen to Phil- he's incredible here.
 #62849  by beaner

I started playing bass around 1985(first instrument was the accordian, don't ask!) I play a 4003 Mapleglow Rick and I also had an ovation electric many moons ago. Playing good ol' grateful dead started for me around 97' and I've been lovin' it ever since. I recently put down the bass and bought a Ludwig 5 piece kit I dig playin' Estimated Prophet and Bertha and, and, and.........
"May not be the devil and it may not be the lord but you're gonna have to serve somebody"
 #82966  by seanc

I have been in dead bands off and on for @ 15+ yrs. I live in the Mass/ RI area and am currently looking to play with people again...
Feel free to PM me.

Got tons of nice gear just going unloved..
 #82997  by Harvestwind

Bass player since 1980. Not really a Dead (Phil) style player as I also sing and tend to keep it pretty simple/pattern oriented. Also not much call for a Dead cover band in Canberra Australia, as the Dead are largely unknown or dismissed as a Heavy Metal band to all but a few older ex-hippie types like myself.

Just love the Dead's music which is why I am here.

Play an 83 Precision through a Galleon Kruger amp and a Celestion 4x10 box. Also use a Boss Compressor pedal.
 #83006  by javalina

In the late 70s I was playing Dead tunes on B3 and Rhodes, but the bass player kept getting too drunk to play so by '82 I bought a bass. Had one ever since, but the past 15 years I didn't play much. Just getting back into it lately.

I have an Ibanez bass with active pickups, and plan to build some kind of a bass amp if it turns out that I find anybody to play with after I move to Brattleboro in the fall.

My favorite Dead tune to play is whatever I happen to be working on at the time. I fall asleep listening to Dead shows on my music player and whatever's playing when I wake up, I try and learn. Kind of an I Ching approach to picking songs.

Far as non-Dead tunes, I mostly just make stuff up.
 #94555  by Todd GT5

Hello all,
Todd Smith living in Central Oregon. I awitched from guitar about six years ago, I should have done so sooner! I'm currently playing in two bands one "41East" a rock & oldies cover band and "Heleos" a rock, blues, cover & originals band.

I play a "Graphite Guitar Systems" 5 string bass. I switched out the Bartolins's and active pre to Nordstrand's Big Singles and passive VVT. I'm loving the tone. I'm getting some Phil vibe from the graphite neck, but also getting a nice organic sound with the passive single coils and flat wound strings(DA Chromes). I'm running a light weight GK MB212 with a VT Bass stomp box.

I've currently talked Heleos into playing "Mr. Charlie" and "Hard to Handle" and 41East into "Good Lovin", so they are the only Dead tunes I get to play in a band setting(love them). My favorite non-Dead songs would be "Green Eyed Lady", "Cortez The Killer", Stormy Monday" and many more! I'll keep chipping away at adding Dead tunes to both bands, I have to sneak them in sometimes!

Let's keep this thread alive! Fellow bass player brothers!

-Todd
 #94614  by Todd GT5

I love the Nordstrand Big Singles, They made me a set that fit the Bartolini size I had for no extra cost. To me, they really brought my bass to life! I know that graphite necked basses have a reputation of being sterile, but I think it's the humbuckers and active electronics they usually have. The bass sounds more open, organic and has a nice bit of growl now too. I know it's a matter of personal taste, but they work great for me. They are single coils so there is some hum at times. I want to have GGS make me another bass and put the "Big Splits" into it(when I can afford to), so if I ever play somewhere that the single coils are to noisy, I would have a hum free option that sounds simlar.

BTW, I didn't mention it earlier, but I've been a Dead Head since my first show in 1979 in San Jose, CA(Brent's first show).

-Todd
 #102193  by hippieguy1954

OK......sooooooooooo which one of you "older" bass players is located in south eastern NY and is not jammin with anyone as far as Dead music goes?
I'm always lookin for a "phil" style bass player. I can do it quite well, but much perfer the six string (playin for 42 yrs). I've been a Dead Head since '72 and know how hard it is to find a good "Phil".
:smile: :smile: :smile:
 #102203  by hippieguy1954

EMF wrote:I am in Fairfield County, CT. where in south east NY are you located?
I'm in Sullivan County. Wurtsboro is the town. Seems kinda far for rehersals, but ya never know. I'll have to look at the map. :smile: :smile: :smile: