#156955  by coolrays

Hello!

This is my first post, so I'm sorry if it is in the wrong forum.

Looking to find an affordable guitar (for an intermediate player) that gets close to Jerry's classic guitars, in terms of look, feel, and sound.

I know that his guitars were very expensive, and I cannot swing a custom build, but I'm curious as to what to look for in something within my range ($400-700)

Thanks in advance for any advice!
 #156958  by chipperj

IMO, the 1st thing to know is you need a guitar that has a middle pickup; either single-coil or split-able humbucker. Just selecting the in-between position on a 2 PU guitar won't do it. Get a Mexican (or used American or Japanese) Strat that feels good to you, and live on that middle pickup. There will be lots to add eventually to help get you there, but this would be a good place to start.
 #156962  by Searing75

Strat, and then route out the pup guard for Super Distortions, and an SDS1. Change your tone pots to 500k for the two humbuckers. Like someone said, live on that Middle pup in single coil mode. Throw a Wald electronics preamp in it, and you are there for the most part. Or, just throw D. Allen Voodo 69's with the wald preamp, and your golden as well.
 #157018  by Rusty the Scoob

Nobody's said Phred yet? They're the ultimate bang-for-the-buck Jerry guitars in my book, especially if you aren't into doing your own modding. http://shop.phredinstruments.com/
 #157167  by mrMix

I have a Tiger from when Phred's guitars first hit the scene - more models to choose from now. Overall it's a good guitar. I reached out to Waldo and got a buffer - installed it and had the wiring updated. Since then I now play a PRS in my current gig and it does everything I want in terms of sound. Also, a Strat with a set of Lollar Blackface pickups (and another buffer) gets me that sweet '72 tone.
Did I mention that the buffer is the constant?