#55838  by gdtrfb2

As a musician myself, the more I think of DSO and what it "does", the more it confuses and angers. If I, let's just say, looked almost exactly like Brad Pitt and devoted my life (and career) to imitating his every move, manner of speaking, walk, etc., then I charged people to come and see me perform some real-Pitt stuff, should I be compensating Brad Pitt himself? How am I being creative in ANY way whatsoever? What if I had a talent to paint exactly like Jerry Garcia - Should I be able to profit off of "my" paintings? Music, art, acting - All of these professions require a born-with talent and personal creativity that absolutely no one else has the right to mimmick..And get paid for it!

I have seen a LOT of cover bands, hell, even well-known, famous acts (the Grateful Dead, ie) cover other people's work, but they make the songs their own on stage...But a band of admitedly talented musicians copying not only songs but equipment set-ups, mannerisms, stance...? Are you kidding me? With Garcia, et. al., this world saw six of the most talented, creative,and unique individuals ever. Now DSO makes a living off merely copying what THEY, someone else did. I can't honestly think of anything weirder yet so widely accepted. Do these guys pay the Dead royalties? I hear their shows aren't exactly inexpensive to attend...Now, if DSO was simply playing for free, imitating a band they love, that's terrific - More power to 'em. But aren't their shows costing people $25+? Once again, I am taken aback.

Don't get me wrong. I would love to be able to go back in time and see a dozen of my favorite shows, even dozens of them; but I can't. Period. But seeing a bunch of musicians copying those shows is even worse in my opinion.

So, I was interested in seeing if anyone out there shares my views on this subject - Let me know...
 #55839  by Chuckles

Well...

Seeing as people are willing to shell out the $ to see 'em

and that members of the Dead have played with them

I don't see an issue.

And, I think you sold the GD at least 6 member short of full credit over their career.
 #55842  by warrenMFKNhaynes

While I think DSO is grossly overrated for a cover band, I don't think the Brad Pitt or Painting analogies were fair. :lol:

I'll catch DSO if I get free tix or if im at a festival or something, like I did at 10klf 08, watched like 1 song and then caught a much more entertaining band The New Mastersounds. Not more entertaining because I like their music better than GD music, but because it's fresh, it was "happening now" if you know what I mean.

Someone paying more than $10 to see a cover band is completely ridiculous. I would MUCH rather just crank a random dead show and continue whatever it is I'm doing at that time, than go drop $30 to go act like i'm going to see Jerry and put myself in this phony state of mind that he never died and he's in front of me playing.

The reaction they get out of me is, "Hey, that guy's guitar playing sounds a lot like jerry, but not his voice and the bassist doesn’t do Phil justice at all." as oppose to "Oh my god! they're amazing they sounds just like the real thing, this is $30 well spent."

But I don’t think that they are greedy or anything for having shows that charge that much, because the last time I saw them was at the Guthrie Theatre in Minneapolis, witch is bigger than a bar. And they had it filled up pretty good. So what I’m saying is, if they have that many people that would pay to see them, than hey, what the fuck? why not? Besides it's the promoters who are the ones who will try to get as much as they can out of people.

<object width="425" height="344"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ_yQ02xwsM&hl ... ram><param name="allowFullScreen" value="true"></param><param name="allowscriptaccess" value="always"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/WJ_yQ02xwsM&hl=en&fs=1" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" allowscriptaccess="always" allowfullscreen="true" width="425" height="344"></embed></object>[/youtube]
 #55844  by Rusty the Scoob

I can think of a lot of ways to make a living that are more harmful to society than being in DSO.

Overpriced? Have you bought your tickets to The Dead yet? :lol:

A painting is a static object, as is a recording of a show. DSO of course can't create a genuine Dead show live in front of you, but it is the closest thing available.

And doing Phil justice is a whole lot harder than it seems like it ought to be. I agree Kevin's not quite there, but I've never heard anyone come closer, myself included.
 #55846  by phpbb

I don't know if I'd pay to see someone who looks and acts like Brad Pitt, but I'd at least ask how much if it was Angelina Jolie.
 #55847  by NashvilleMike

I am a fan of Rock and roll first and aa amatuer musician second and I love hearing the songs of the Grateful Dead being played. No matter if it be "Ripple" played on a sidewalk by a single acoustic guitar or DSO doing "The Other one". The music is what matters now and what always mattered - not the drugs or the Julie Patchouli's or the kind veggie burrito's.

"Let there be songs to fill the air"

Many fans of the Dead never had a chance to see Jerry. When I started going I was told that the best days of the Dead were in the 70's or 60's and I missed out. I responded that I thought Brent was the best thing to happen to the band and I had some great times in the 80's seeing shows. Soon there will be no members of the Dead playing anymore and it will be left to DSO and others to keep the music alive and out there in front of people who need to see it being played with heart, love and passion. After all it is the greatest catalog of songs ever written. Who cares if the lead player missed the turn or forgot how the second verse of "Crazy Fingers" starts? Jerry did too and it was great!!

So don't be uptight, don't be critical and don't be a stiff. Just light a J, turn it up, sing along (or don't) and celebrate the brilliant tunes and words that the band has put out there which makes the world a better place.

That's all I have to say about that!
 #55857  by tigerstrat

I am SO glad someone brought this up. This has NEVER been discussed on rukind before.

Do they really learn and replicate every single note of improvisation in a Dead show, even the mistakes?
 #55860  by Capt Rosebuddy

I find it so odd that DSO brings up such strong emotions among people. I happen to really enjoy their shows, I've only seen them a few times but its always fun. Friends of mine on the other hand can't stand them or what they do and get really pissed off if I try to get them to go to a show. To me they play great, yes some of their "act" is a little much but in the big scope of things most of that I think can be overlooked. As far as the acting/art/music thing goes really its apples and oranges, I don't think its fair to make out a band that packs houses coast to coast as impostors, I mean how much do you think your going to pay to see Itzhak Pearlman perform a Tchaikovsky violin concerto? I'll clue you about half a car payment and what's the difference?

For me DSO and other cover bands (even I can't tolerate the term "tribute band") scratch an itch I've had since seeing the real thing getting on 15 years ago. Its great to get out there and mix it up with other heads talk a little shop and have fun grooving to music you love. I don't think those guys are charlatans trying to get rich off of someone elses' work I think they legitimacy love the Grateful Dead's music and love getting out there and playing it.
 #55923  by Mandoborg

Rosebuddy couldn't have said it better !!!

The people that belly-ache most about this stuff probably don't get out to see may live shows anymore !!

I'll go see DSO every time they come around simple because they are a great bunch of guys playing really good songs. It's not an expensive ticket and the shows are always FUN. Let's not take life too serioussly. It's funny, nobody ever bitches about the ABB playing the same tired set every year. I made the mistake of seeing The ' Dead ' in 2004, should have just left the memories sit with my last show being 1990.

Rob Eaton has contributed HUGE amounts to the Grateful Dead scene and he's welcome in my headphones anytime......
Last edited by Mandoborg on Mon Feb 02, 2009 3:04 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #55924  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Mandoborg wrote:I'll go see DSO every time they come around simple because they are a great bunch of guys playing really good songs. It's not an expensive ticket and the shows are always FUN. Let's not take life too serioussly. It's funny, nobody ever bitches about the ABB playing the same tired set every year. I made the mistake of seeing The ' Dead ' in 2004, should have just left the memories sit with my last show being 1990.

ABB probably mixes it up as much as Phil.
 #55926  by Mandoborg

MFKN, i hope my ABB comment wasn't taken out of context. I'm a HUGE Warren fan and have 20+ Mule sets under my belt and 2 or 3 ABB shows a year since the reformation. I might not have worded that one right !! ABB are truly pro's that deliver every single set. I just wish they would hit the smaller venues instead of the Shed tours every summer. I think they play better in a more intimate setting.
I just have a lot of conversations with people that are down on 2009 versions of the bands we've loved for years, and it confuses me quite frankly. Get out and support live music, no matter who it is, it's how these people make a living.
 #55927  by warrenMFKNhaynes

Mandoborg wrote:MFKN, i hope my ABB comment wasn't taken out of context. I'm a HUGE Warren fan and have 20+ Mule sets under my belt and 2 or 3 ABB shows a year since the reformation. I might not have worded that one right !! ABB are truly pro's that deliver every single set. I just wish they would hit the smaller venues instead of the Shed tours every summer. I think they play better in a more intimate setting.
I just have a lot of conversations with people that are down on 2009 versions of the bands we've loved for years, and it confuses me quite frankly. Get out and support live music, no matter who it is, it's how these people make a living.

agreed. whenever they come to minnesota they play the State Fair Grand Stand :evil: . Tight ass security, they litterally kicked me out of an open seat that had been open all night.
 #55952  by Pete B.

I don't see going to see DSO as any different than going to the Symphony.
Either way you're going to see a Tribute band.
The thing I like best about seeing DSO is that it confirms my belief in my own guitar playing.
Based on the ~dozen or so DSO shows I've seen, there ain't nothin' that either of their guitarists can play that I can't play (and I'm not aware either plays Pedal Steel).
[and that's "Priceless" right there]
I can't say that about Garcia (or even Barry Sless).
 #55958  by Tennessee Jedi

I wish my job was playing Dead every night to people who wanted to hear it with people who love playing it.
Its probably overrated though....
:roll:
Jeez
a whole $ 10 bucks to have a good time with some friends ....
 #55959  by strumminsix

Tennessee Jedi wrote:I wish my job was playing Dead every night to people who wanted to hear it with people who love playing it.
Its probably overrated though....
Jeez
a whole $ 10 bucks to have a good time with some friends ....
+1