#155689  by lightningbolt

WOW. That is awesome.

The two shows that night are the ONLY Garcia solo shows since like 1965. I had tickets to see him at the Beacon a few nights later and by the time that show happened, Kahn was by his side.

Word had it that Jerry didn't like being alone on stage or he thought the sound was too thin.
 #155693  by TI4-1009

WOW! That's his D-28, right? I've never seen him solo with a Martin, a very different sound for him. He could make that thing sound off (in the good sense)!! Thanks.

EDIT: Ooops- looks like that's Jerry's first Takamine (the "lawsuit Martin").
Last edited by TI4-1009 on Sat Feb 25, 2017 12:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.
 #155794  by old man down

Watched the vid.

When Cats Under the Stars came out, Ruben and Cherise was listened to not for the lyrics, but for the envelope filter guitar solo at the end of the song.

Although the lyrics are nice, and they tell a sweet tale, you always have to wait through the whole song to get to the characteristic motif.

Without the characteristic motif at the end, take that away, and its just another song, it just doesn't cut it. imho

I think Jer loved the song, however, and being a player, and it being his song, he could care less what others thought of any rendition he delivered, and so he did this acoustic version, solo.

Somewhere on here, I posted, years ago, a really great "electric" version that he did of this song.

Why is it "really great?" Because he extended that characteristic motif way out there, and it gave the rest of the song the memorability that the audience desired.
 #155800  by TI4-1009

old man down wrote: When Cats Under the Stars came out, Ruben and Cherise was listened to not for the lyrics, but for the envelope filter guitar solo at the end of the song.

Although the lyrics are nice, and they tell a sweet tale, you always have to wait through the whole song to get to the characteristic motif.

Without the characteristic motif at the end, take that away, and its just another song, it just doesn't cut it. imho
Well to each his own, I guess. I was around when the song came out and the envelope solo wasn't the hook for me. I loved (and still do) the song for the lyrics, expression, chord structure, etc. The envelope solo was an afterthought for me. One of Hunter/Garcia's finest- the New World retelling of the classic Orpheus and Eurydice myth. One of my favorite memories is hearing Hunter do the song solo- beautiful, almost transcendent. In fact he liked it so much he often saved it for the set closer.